1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna buy a Bullitt in the near future, what should I look for:
1. visual-what should be checked?
2. driving-how should I drive it?
what are some common problems with the Bullitt that I should be aware of and how to detect them?
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
buckwheat bullitt said:
1. visual-what should be checked?
well look at the outside and see how good it looks :)
then go over it looking for any imperfections, such as wavyness and bad body patches. Another trick is to use a magnet and see if it sticks. If it doesn't (and the part is metal of course) then there is probably a lot of bondo in that location. I'd also crawl around and look underneath for any signs of underside damage from a severe wreck. Also check body gaps and compare from one side to the other side. Normally these should all be nearly the same from side to side and front to back.... not always though, as well, these cars aren't a Rolls :D

you can normall tell pretty quick if the car isn't quite right.

buckwheat bullitt said:
2. driving-how should I drive it?
like you stole it! and don't own it!
seriously, there is just no other way to see how good a car is then to drive the hell out of it. Plus a Bullitt shouldn't be driven any other way ;)
at least mine loves to be driven hard :cool:

I always drive the hell out of a car before buying it. I like to get it up to a high speed, at least 90, and do a couple floorboard sessions to verify the character :)

buckwheat bullitt said:
what are some common problems with the Bullitt that I should be aware of and how to detect them?
probably transmission problems would be the top of my list. Lots of people on here have problem with shifting into 2nd, 3rd, etc. Mine's been fine though, knock on wood.

other things would be just a general once over.... These cars are pretty good overall IMHO, and not much else that is a common issue that I can recall.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Check all the fluids, and visible gaskets. I also like to check the oil dip stick and look into the valve cover through the fill cap. Look for major sludge due to poor maintenance. Look at the tires for tread and you can easily see the brake pad material through our wheels. If the car needs tires and\or brakes you could talk down the price some. Derrick pretty much covered everything else.
P.s. I have not seen anything yet but I'm still keeping my eye out. If you need any other help you can PM me.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
yeah, good stuff as well 4592

I also just thought of the death rattle issue. I believe it's a rattle when the engine is cold. Mine oddly enough, did this this morning. Went away after pulling into the street.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
also watch out, some Bullitts were accidently sprayed with a color OTHER than True Blue, this is a sign of poor judgement and should be avoided at all costs... :p

but honestly, only thing i would add is pull a carfax or autocheck, or if you have a friend in a ford dealership, get an OASIS report (report shows all work done at any Ford-registered shop or dealership that reports to OASIS system) so you know if TSB's or repairs were done, and what ins. report stuff was made, ie accidents or minor paint work or such...

good luck!!

shaun

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
SniperStang said:
also watch out, some Bullitts were accidently sprayed with a color OTHER than True Blue, this is a sign of poor judgement and should be avoided at all costs...
LOL! I knew Shaun would say that. He's crafty that way. :p

Buckwheat, you may want to have another person drive the prospective Bullitt while you follow behind in another vehicle checking for exhaust smoke, frame alignment, etc.

Good luck!

Collin

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
just don't want any spur-of-the-moment decisions to haunt him for the rest fo his life... you know how it is, right collin? :p :p :p

shaun

·
Registered
88 Posts
Before I bought 4026 (which is an immaculate DHG example), I went up to Virginia to look at a Bullitt that only had 13,000 original miles. It was being sold at specialty used car deal (that mainly specialized in BMW's and Mercedes). It looked great in pictures and had a clean Carfax. When I arrived (after the 5 hour trip) this is what I found:

1) The dealership claimed the car was non-smoker owned. However, when I looked in the package tray above the rear seat I saw cigarette ash everywhere. Most detailers never think to vacuum here and cigarette ashes always end up here from a smoker.

2) Supposedly, the car had never been painted but (a) a peek through the slots in the rear bumper cover showed paint on the energy absorber (which should be flat black.

3) The bumper Bullitt emblem was missing. Since this a 7 piece unit ... it didn't just come off, which threw up a red flag that the trunk had been repainted after an accident. Two other clues were sanding scuffs on the third brake light while the trunk was baby smooth and the sail panel showed coarse sand marks in the clear coat indicating a poor blend job.

4) Modifications included Flowmasters (this car sounded obnoxiously loud) and deep dish rear Bullitt wheels .... with only 13,000 miles on the car the center of the rear tires was down below the legal limit. How much had this guy been frying the tires? A driveshaft loop had also been installed .... why??

5) The hood scoop was badly oxidized indicating that this was an outdoor dog.

6) A peek under the drivers seat showed shattered side window glass (non-laminated), the car had either been wrecked or stolen at some point.

7) The car ran like a raped ape ... butt it felt loose with clunking between the gears (Bad throw out bearing? Universal joints shot? Worse?)

Ultimately, as bad as I wanted a Bullitt, I had to walk away. This Bullitt was extremely low miles but looked like the miles were put on 1320 feet at a time. I wanted an unmolested sweet heart ... not a drag queen. The sales manager called me a "detective". They wanted $15,900 for the car. I told them I would buy it for $13,000 but he wouldn't budge a penny off the car. Even when I showed him all the problems with the car, he just smiled and said, "Someone will buy this car at this price. Most people aren't as ridiculous as you." I told him that if this were just any Mustang GT, he might be right. However, most people who come looking specifically for a Bullitt are doing so based on the collectability / uniqueness of the steed and we are knowledgeable about the car.

I walked away fromt the car and found #4026, which looks like it just rolled off the line. There isn't a scratch or a ding in the car. The paint looks like it just rolled down the assembly line and the leather is baby soft. I bought her from the Ford dealership who sold her to the original owner where she was always serviced. They had every last service record (all done by the dealer), the window sticker and the original brochure. The only modifications were a Hurst shifter and a K&N Air Filter and is otherwise bone stock! I bought her for $13,000 (would have paid a lot more). She came with 39,000 miles but you'd never know that she had traveled more than 5,000. The guy who owned her was in his late 30's and worked 3rd shift, so the car didn't see a lot of daylight.

I guess what I am trying to say in my usual long-winded academic way is:

1) Take your time.

2) Inspect her thoroughly.

3) Be willing to walk away. (There will ALWAYS be another Bullitt for sale that is in the condition you want and in the price range you would be willing to pay).

There are a lot of owners out there (many on this board) who treated this car with reverence and respect. You don't have to buy some drag strip tired victim of abuse.

·
Registered
88 Posts
One more thing .... Steve McQueen's eyes may have been True Blue and his turtle neck was definitely black .... but his car was Dark Highland Green.

Relax true bluers and black owners .... I came close to buying a black one with a *gasp* spoiler. Of course .... then I came to my senses. :lol:

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Black with a spoiler would be the best look for a Bullitt, ever.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I would look at the tires, see if the front is wearing even. Also check the alignment of the hood, closed and open, same for the trunk lid. Bumper fit, check the mat in the trunk for dampness. Just some more ideas to go along with others listed here. As far as driving the car, you need to get it on the highway, if you are truly interested put some miles on it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks

Hey Guys,
thanks for the input and advice, everyone came thru like a champ. If you can think of anything else, I would appreciate it.
Anyone out there near Lusby,MD or West Farmington, Ohio? They could check out a Bullitt for me?

THANKS AGAIN!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oasis report

First I would like to thank-Sniper Stang for his input. Because I never knew such a report existed and it's free from the dealer. Since his response to my thread, any Bullitt tha I'm interested in I request such a report and if the seller doesn't want to get it and an inspection, I pass on the car.
One car that I'm following did as asked and the report does provide all the info. Shaun said it would.
Now here's the good part,there is a service action on these vehicles from Ford, program,#05n04, regarding an intake manifold coolant leak at the coolant crossover duct. THIS COVERAGE IS GOOD FOR SEVEN YRS. FROM THE WARRANTY START DATE OF THE VEHICLE-WHICH MEANS THAT ALL BULLITTS ARE COVERED INTO 2008. This coverage in transferable to the new owner.
I thought I would pass this along in the event some owners didn't know about it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Homework

Thanks, I'm trying to do it right, I've been waiting until the time was right to get my Bullitt and I want to enjoy it when I get it.
This site has been an exceptional source of info. with unselfish support from the members. The next best thing to getting the Bullitt will be meeting other owners/members.
Thanks Again

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
(we need a smiley for :blush: ) :p

glad to help out!! not only will you find a fine bullitt sometime soon, i think we all can tell YOU will be a fine "Bullitthead"!!

shaun

1 - 18 of 18 Posts