Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering what Steve McQueen would have thought about our cars if he had lived. I don't really mean the tribute to his character. I think he would have enjoyed that part. I think, if he's looking down on us, that he would chuckle at us gathering around on a Saturday afternoon to look at each other's cars with his name on them.

What I'm talking about is the machinery. Would he have been impressed to take one of our cars out on the road and give it a run? I don't think anyone can really answer this since we didn't know him. It just makes me wonder. How would a 2001 compare with the cars he was used to driving? Would he have liked them? Do you think he would have bought one if they didn't give him one?

I don't really expect an answer. Feel free to comment if you like.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Our cars are a much more refined car than the movie car, however he would probably cry about the power of the 2001

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I know he owned a '64 Mustang. But when he was young most of his vehicles were very fast exotics. I think the Ford GT would've been more his style. As he got older I think he was more into antique motorcycles and cars rather than modern ones.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Always wondered how Steve would feel about our cars too. I think he would have enjoyed it and would have drove the heck out of it.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I also think he would not like the looks of the Bullitt.

Now the 05 Stang look he would like.

·
Registered
88 Posts
rblack4405 said:
Our cars are a much more refined car than the movie car, however he would probably cry about the power of the 2001
Why do you think that? The car he was driving was a GT with a 390. From the factory, it wasn't exactly a dragstrip burner ... it was a mid 15 second car on a good day. They had to modify it just to keep up with the Charger in the movie (which was bone stock and a high 14 second car). Now .... if he had been driving a 428 Cobra Jet .... that would be a different matter all together. With headers and slicks and some tuning a 68 Cobra Jet will turn low 12's. With minimum mods, it would run in the 11's ... on 1960's technology tires (slicks).

·
Registered
88 Posts
rblack4405 said:
I also think he would not like the looks of the Bullitt.

Now the 05 Stang look he would like.
I'm sure he would appreciate the retro cues of the 2005 to present Stang, but I don't think he would have disliked the 1999-2004 body style.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Almost 40 years after the movie and only 275 hp., with stock performance in the high 13's with improved design in every mechanical part.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I think he would be suprised and honored that a tribute car was bulit by FMC.

He would have liked our the cars dispite it's lack of similarity to the '68 [ compared to the body style of the 05's]
I'm sure he would be touched with his image on then posters and the way we remember him.
And he definitly would own one and tear up many sets of tires with it.

How old would he have been in 2001?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder what he would have to say about the transmission...

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
If he would like the 01 Bullitt he would love the trans.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Doc Coffin said:
He would be driving a Porsche.
Ummm at his age, I doubt it. Lots of broken bones that would be screaming at him now. Maybe a Lexus 400 SC, Mercedes 500 whatever the SUV things designation is, I forgot. But a Bullitt? Naw, I think he'd be in something more comfy to drive daily, and it better be powerful.:shock:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts