Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do and where would you start ?

I have 30,000 miles on my Bullitt and I feel that it is starting to show its age a bit in the suspension/handling
department.

Minor mods on my car.
1) X2C motorsports upper and lower control arms at the rear with poly bushes.
2) Trunk brace, V8 Power.com
3) Front bace, V8 Power.com
4) 186 mph rated tyres, 245x40x17 front
275x40x17 rear

K member brace on order, will be fitted when I get back from the Nationals.

I was out in the car yesterday and was doing 120 up a 3 lane hill with a bend and some ruts caused by trucks. The car was drifting and wallowing and yes I could have slowed down BUT if I was going to do that then I might as well get out and walk....! ! !
I was pushing car on but it was not handling well at all. Where would you start on the suspension and handling to bring this back to respectable.....
Replace all the struts? Shocks?
Uprate springs, poss lower the car a bit?

Bob

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Shock\struts maybe in order, did you notice any of them leaking? If you were going to replace them, then that would also be a good time to throw some springs on if you wanted to. I'm sure an alignment wouldn't hurt either.

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
Keep in mind that my suspension was completely worn out when I replaced parts. I will list items in order based on my opinion but since you don't have over 100k miles (that's one h*** of a lot in metric) your situation may be different. My car did not track well at all and had a looseness to it.

1. My tires are new and the front sizes 265-35-18 fit the 9" rim much better than the 275-40-17 did on an 8" rim. Tracking is perfect.

2. Bilstein struts and shocks - much better ride than the stock Tokicos. I would recommend these struts and shocks even if you had a new car.

3. As good as the Bullitt springs are, I bought H&R SS springs but mainly for looks. They are a little stiffer than the stock springs but the ride is better than stock when matched with the Bilsteins.

4. FRPP front A-arms with low friction ball joints and stiifer bushings. MIne were worn so just having something new had to help. Yours may be fine.

5. I added MM LCA's but you have that covered.

6. I did not get the SFC's yet but that will absolutely be the next mod. I had to decide and I bought the LCA's since everything was already apart.

Hope this helps. Just remember that there will be lots of different right answers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi bob, my car seemed to handle much better when I went from the 275 tyres on the standard rim to a decent set of 245's. I have since gone back to the 275's once and didn't like them and now gone back again to the 275's. I do have the H & R 25mm spacers on the back aswell now but I guess having the wider track at the back would have a tendancy to make the car understeer more. I reckon the dampers could be uprated for driving on our uneven roads as I have thought the car is quite 'bouncy' compared to European cars so that would be my first mod to get some adjustable dampers. I think if you lowered the car you would find the ride too firm and would definately need to change the dampers to match the new spring rate

·
Registered
656 Posts
New struts/shocks with coil over(Tokico Illumina's or Koni's), springs, Max. Mtrspt camber/caster plates, definitely the MM k-member brace, offset steering rack bushings and urethane pinion snubber and sub frame connectors. You won't believe how your Bullitt handles.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I should not go here, this being a very old thread and all, but I don't get around here too much anymore.

Best handling update I ever made to #3440 was to ditch the solid axle in the rear in favor of an IRS unit out of a Cobra. This eliminates a lot of wander in the rear suspension and makes the car track around corners much better. I use stock springs for a 2003 or later Cobra which match up well for ride height and stiffness to the original Bullitt springs.

Downside to an IRS conversion is wheel hop, but if you are not drag racing you will seldom notice.

This conversion is pretty much a bolt on as well.

You could probably achieve similiar results with a torque arm and panhard bar upgrade with the solid axle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts