Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch is slipping when I punch the gas in the upper gears (4th or 5th). The rmps shoot up, but the car moves no where. I'm trying to decide between McLeod or Centerforce. I heard a few people had problems with the Centerforce DF. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Depending on yer hp level I would reccomned the Spec 2 plus Hybrid with steel flywheel. I have the above and it has great pedal effort and can handle ober 600 RWTQ.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I got Zoom stage 2. No problems, great clutch. I was initially going centerforce but a mustang around here had his come apart on him so my shop said they never had problems with Zoom so with them I went.

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
Zoom has been around for a long time, I have been trying to figure out what to get when mine goes. Heard a lot of negative things about SPEC, so I thought Centerforce was the answer when I read a lot of good things. Then, lately, I have been hearing the same negative comments about Centerforce. Not so sure what now....maybe just another Ford.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have a McLeod dual friction in my 87 and it holds the power nice. I never tryed a centerforce but I here good things about them, the same with spec. I had a king cobra clutch in my 88 it was mostly stock and I thought that clutch was great for a mild setup on the street, I dont know if they make it in 11inch though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wouldn't recommend Spec to anyone. I have a Spec Stage 1 with their Spec Billett Steel Flywheel and it chatters like a mofo. It is getting a little better after it's been in the car for the last 4 months, but not great. If you plan on getting a nice clutch for street driving, Spec is NOT the answer.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
MRT sells an 11" King Cobra clutch for $199. That's the way I'll go when I need one, but my car is mostly stock. Not sure if it would hold the real high hp very well. If you buy a Ford stock clutch, be sure you don't get a reman. When I was having tranny problems, the dealership replaced my original clutch with a Ford reman clutch. If I had known that, I would have bought something else on my own and had them use it instead. The Ford reman clutch is not very strong. If I get real aggressive with it, it will smell like it's burning up. Only go with new!

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
thanx for the MRT tip. May be the way I go when it's time.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
What kind of HP are you looking for the clutch to handle?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
VCal-Bullitt2567 said:
Anyone have experience with the King Cobra clutch? Sound like a good deal!

I had one in my 88lx and I loved it nice and smooth on the street. I didnt have much done to the car. I dont know the horsepower rating you can call ford racing and ask them they should know. I think they are closed thanksgiving week so call this week.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am about to install a DF centerforce clutch so when I get it in I will let yall know how it works. I have heard good things about centerforce so we will see.

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
sganow said:
MRT sells an 11" King Cobra clutch for $199. That's the way I'll go when I need one, but my car is mostly stock. Not sure if it would hold the real high hp very well. If you buy a Ford stock clutch, be sure you don't get a reman. When I was having tranny problems, the dealership replaced my original clutch with a Ford reman clutch. If I had known that, I would have bought something else on my own and had them use it instead. The Ford reman clutch is not very strong. If I get real aggressive with it, it will smell like it's burning up. Only go with new!
part no.?

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I have a spec stage 2 with ford TOB and steeda adjustable clutch cable. No problems with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts