Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll probably be writing more "What's right..." posts in the months ahead as I put more miles on my Bullitt. I now have 500 miles on it and we're getting to know each other quite well. My last Mustang was a 2000 GT convertible (Tropic Green, next best color to DHG) which I have the pleasure of putting 40k miles on the odo before trading it in. This gives me a unique perspective to compare the differences between the '00 GT and the '01 Bullitt. And yes, there are some pretty big differences. I'll start with the clutch.

The clutch "action" on the '00 GT was, for lack of a better word, crap. The rate of engagement and range of engagement were all wrong for me. I'm 6'4" and need all the leg room I can get. The clutch pedal on my GT would not engage until the pedal was 3/4 of the way up and then it would go from nothing to fully engaged in what seemed like an inch of pedal travel. It engaged very quickly and only when the pedal was almost all the way up. I had to be very careful when driving in stop and go traffic, if I let my foot rest slightly on the clutch pedal it would allow the clutch to slip slightly. Being automotive-conscious (is that a word??) I did what it took to not burn up my clutch just commuting to work. This meant holding up my left foot and letting it "hover" over the pedal. In really bad Dallas traffic this led to cramping. Not good.

In a effort to remedy Ford's lack of engineering I installed a Ford Racing adjustable clutch cable & aluminum quadrant. I later helped a friend (Brandon00GT over on the corral) install a Steeda adjustable cable & quadrant in his '00 GT coupe, his included a firewall adjuster too. Comparing the two, the Steeda was a superior product. The Ford Racing part fits all Mustangs from '87 to '01 (so it says on the box it came in) but the quadrant required modification to fit my GT and the cable was much longer than necessary. The Steeda version installed easily (a true bolt on) and had the added benefit of being able to adjust it at the firewall or the bellhousing. The Ford part was adjustable at the bellhousing only, requiring that the car be jacked up to access it. After the mod the clutch action was smoother, but it did nothing to address my range of engagement issue. Had I kept the car longer I probably would have welded a solid stop on the clutch linkage under the dash then used the adjustable cable to reset the clutches engagement. That would have solved my problem but I traded the car before attempting it.

Now I have my new Bullitt. According to the tech specs I've read in sources like Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine the Bullitt has a specific clutch and flywheel that are different from the GT. Not sure about the clutch linkage (cable, quadrant, etc.) but I can say that the setup works 100% better than the old one. The range of motion and range of engagement are just what they should be, shifts smoother, and no more cramps from foot hovering. Bravo to Ford for correcting the problem, there are more than a few 99-00 GT owners over on the corral that should look into retrofitting their cars with the new parts.

One of the reasons I bought a Bullitt is that a lot of the mods I would normally perform on a GT are already done on the Bullitt. Guess I can add adjustable cable to that list, I won't be needing it. If I change my mind I'll be shopping at steeda.com for my next one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with you Rob. I think the clutch in the Bullitt is great. I also bought the Bullitt for the same reasons. I chose the Bullitt over 00 Saleen and a 01 Cobra. Of course the uniqueness of the Bullitt was a great selling point also.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks WIXBULLITT. As I spend more time behind the wheel I'm sure I'll have more to share. My plan is to install my new Tri-Ax (courtesy of the group purchase on this web site) next week and compare it to the Kirban install on the T45 of my last car. The install will come just in time for a quick blitz to Houston to see the wife's family. With any luck the trip might also provide an opportunity for some high speed stability testing. Anyone that's ever made the trip down I45 from Dallas to Houston knows that road only has 3, maybe 4, curves in it... and it's over 100 miles!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts