Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a friend call and say his car was driving kinda funny, well he stopped by last night and this is what I found:

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did a quick Google and this is what I found:

"On September 15th, 2006 ********** submitted information regarding approximately 128,000 model year (MY) 1999 -2001 ********** vehicles. According to **********, these vehicles were manufactured with front crossmembers designed and made by ********** that can rust from the inside out because of insufficient corrosion protection. The design of the crossmember limited the coverage of paint on the interior surfaces during the painting process. In March 2006 ********** made design changes to the crossmember to enhance the coverage of paint to the inside of the part. ********** indicated that when operated in areas of the country that use road salt for de-icing, over time water and salt/mud can accumulate inside the crossmember and cause crevice corrosion that can lead to perforation. These perforations at the front control arm brackets can cause the front suspension to become partially detached from the vehicle. ********** provided vehicle test data showing that crossmembers that fail in this manner do not cause a loss of vehicle control and, therefore, do not represent an unreasonable risk to motor vehicle safety. This investigation has been upgraded to an engineering analysis to further assess the safety consequences associated with the alleged defect condition. Investigation was initiated on October 30 2006.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the best part:

"********** provided vehicle test data showing that crossmembers that fail in this manner do not cause a loss of vehicle control and, therefore, do not represent an unreasonable risk to motor vehicle safety."

Id luv them to swing by and take it for a little drive and see if they still feel this way ..........

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
I don't know what car it is as a lot is edited out.
This looks like why we have such tough safety inspections every year here, they would pick up on this
and it poss would have been highlighted earlier befor it got his bad.

As a Police vehicle examiner, if I inspected this on the road, then that would be its last trip.
A form would be issued and it could not be driven away or towed away, the only option would be a full
lift on a recovery truck.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
We have state inspections in WV. also. A very good idea for every state.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you really want to know what vehicle it is and who makes it do a Google search on a portion of the text. It comes right up.

What amazes me is that there can be this much deterioration on a 6 to 8 year old vehicle. Heck, our Bullitts are that old!

Lammy

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Those dum asses out here in MO land just did away with their 2 year safety inspection... because it was Picking on the poor people that can't aford to fix their junk..... Oklahoma also doesn't do safety inspections and I have seen so many junkers running around it actuually hurts to see them... Using orange juice bottle for tail light lens, or kitchen over head light difuser as lens for head lights....

I'm thinking about taking pictures of these clunkers and send it to my state repersentative, with WTF are you thinking

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Ok ay can some one PM me what type of vehicle this is????? I tried google and come up confused

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Pa has a state inspection every year and depending on where you live emissions as well. I think every state should have a yearly safety inspection. Pennsylvania used to have a inspection every 6 months. My opinion is that if you can not afford to maintain a vehicle, then you have no business on the road.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Black4592 said:
Pa has a state inspection every year and depending on where you live emissions as well. I think every state should have a yearly safety inspection. Pennsylvania used to have a inspection every 6 months. My opinion is that if you can not afford to maintain a vehicle, then you have no business on the road.
Oklahoma has a vehicle inspection. You do it yourself and mail in the results.:smile:

PA inspection? Ohio has spot inspections I think, or that's what they used to have.

TX: once a year, and as tight as a drum if your in a big city:doubt: .

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
TX: once a year, and as tight as a drum if your in a big city:doubt: .
Not as tight as you think. I've passed inspection 4 times without cats!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The rest of the truck looks as new, other that a few Chicago pinstripes and such. No other rust anywhere! Well GM says sorry your control arm might fall off but you'll be ok, but for $1050 well fix it for ya................I am just at a loss.....

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
That is really screwed up and since they did not correct the problem until last year there are a lot more Trackers running around with the same possible problem. Unfortunately it takes longer to rust out than the warranty lasts.....

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Just another example of Americans screwing Americans. The enemy is often within.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts