Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a warranty item? While taking a wheel off over the weekend, the key bent in the lock. Now, the bent key barely matches that bent lock and the bent key no longer matches the other 3 locks. Any ideas on what I should do? Do dealers usually have the (thousands of combinations of) locks and keys available or will it take 6-8 weeks to order?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I think you have to order an extra key directly from McGard. Info should have been contained in the little plastic pouch that the key came in. I ordered one immediately after I got the car, think it cost $10 and I got a spare within 10 days or so. May take longer if you didn't register the locks with McGard upon purchase. I doubt if Ford or your dealer can help you with this one.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Dude get rid of those locks. They are pieces of %&^^$. I just bought 4 lugs from Ford so I dont have any locks.

The same thing happened to me the lock broke and got stripped. It caused a major headache you dont even want to know.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Ditto on that. No issues with my locks/keys. Bought 2 new keys the day after I got the Bullitt.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I'd like to get Ford to pay for this one... Here's an update...

After checking the key & locks/bolts, I found that the key wasn't stripped (though it got bent), but the pattern in the lock got stripped and now I can't take the lock off.

After speaking with a dealer service manager, he told me that the McGard locks are crap and he recommends removing them. However, he said that it's not a warranty item and to remove the lock, he needs to remove the brake (?) to get at it from behind. About an hour or two to get it off. Unfortunately, that's not warranty.

I also called Ford's customer service and they also reiterated that the removal would not be a warranty item and that I'd have to pay for it (because it falls under a "maintenance" item). The thing that sucks is that I've never removed that wheel before and if it was on too tight, it came that way from the factory. My guess is that they used an impact wrench to put the lock on (something that the McGard info says you shouldn't do) because there's no human that could put a lock on that tight that removing it would strip a bolt's pattern...

So, obviously I'm going to have to have the dealer do the work. I never wanted the locks and it came too tight from the factory. I hate the way that Ford chooses what items are available for warranty and what's not. Ford WILL NEVER see me as a customer again if I have to fork over even $1 for something this stupid that they messed up from the factory while I still have miles on my warranty. (It's a waste to lose a car customer over $100 worth of unnecessary work...) So, I was wondering... a) Does anyone know of a Midwest rep who I could speak with who would deal with this? b) Is filing a complaint with the IL Attorney General's Consumer Complaint department and the BBB for reimbursement worth it? c) Is small claims court an option against auto manufacturers? Thanks.
<font color=00C0FF>True-Blue Bullitt #2294
<font color=FF0000>Red '94 Cougar V8 (for sale)
<font color=0088FF>Chicago (Lincoln Park), IL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BUL2294 on 2002-04-10 15:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
509 Posts
At least you guys got a key! When I took the Bullitt up to have the 3.73"s installed; I went to get the wheel lock key and after 30 minutes of tearing the %^#%##&& car apart......there was NONE. I called the dealer and he said he would order new locks. Luckily the garage had a set of wheel lock removal sockets and got them off! To make matters worse, the auto parts store across the highway didn't have any lugs that would fit the Bullitt.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-04-10 15:35, BUL2294 wrote:
OK, I'd like to get Ford to pay for this one... Here's an update...

After checking the key & locks/bolts, I found that the key wasn't stripped (though it got bent), but the pattern in the lock got stripped and now I can't take the lock off. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Go to any tire store that sell custom wheels. They have a tool made specially for stripped out patterns. It works on the same principal as an "Easy-out". Takes about 2 minutes to get the stripped pattern lugnut off.

I've been through this with my pickup, it's no big deal to take care of.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Nomad

How can you live in Miami without wheel locks?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-04-10 20:02, 1NastyFordGT wrote:

Go to any tire store that sell custom wheels. They have a tool made specially for stripped out patterns. It works on the same principal as an "Easy-out". Takes about 2 minutes to get the stripped pattern lugnut off.

I've been through this with my pickup, it's no big deal to take care of. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
The only place I've found (so far) that carries anything like that is Pep Boys and they want $300 for the kit (as opposed to the one piece I need). Any ideas?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I got mine from Northern Tool for, I believe, around $70. Check them out.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I agree with Nomad - get rid of them entirely. If someone really wants your wheels they'll get them whether or not you're using security lugs. All it takes is a universal security lug socket that essentially screws onto the OD of the lug and a thief is home free.

I got rid of mine because of an event my brother had with his '96 GT. He had a flat and there was enough dissimilar metal corrosion present between the security lug and the lug seat on the wheel that the engaging profile on the key completely sheared off when he tried to remove it! It got colorful from there.

IMO, security lugs are nothing more than a deterrent and also a headache if you have a similar situation to the one above.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
On 2002-04-15 12:17, strokerswild wrote:
I agree with Nomad - get rid of them entirely. If someone really wants your wheels they'll get them whether or not you're using security lugs.

IMO, security lugs are nothing more than a deterrent and also a headache if you have a similar situation to the one above.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I would agree except for one thing. One morning a couple of years ago I got into my car to drive to work. I kept hearing a thunk like a tire was flat. Several times I got out of the car to look and no flat. Then someone honked at me and told me that my tire was wiggling. I checked and the lugs were about to fall off. Apparently some idiot needed a spare and tried to get it, but must have heard my alarm go off to wake me up (I parked right outside of my bedroom.) So, lug locks will not stop a professional theif, but it might stop a high school kid or someone looking for a spare.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I removed my locks and replaced them with regular lug nuts.

If someone really wants those wheels, they are not going to screw around trying to remove them. They will TAKE the ENTIRE VEHICLE! :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts