Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the GT/Bullitt wheels represent a modern verion of the old "Torque-Thrust D" wheels of the 60's I decided to go one step farther and add a 3-bar knock-off to the wheel center. I found a warehouse with a supply of correct size and style of chrome spinner (knock-off). I then machined a set of adapters from billet aluminum (and purchased certain hardware) which allowed the attachment of the knock-offs to the wheels. I am also having special adhesive backed vinyl decals made for the knock-off centers. The knock-offs look great. It is unbelievable the number of comments I get on the car, and specifically the knock-offs. With the work involved I do not know if I could produce some sets that would be affordable, but if there is enough interest I will try and come up with an approximate price. I do not have any pics yet, but will try to get some. My Cobra (the 2 person car, not the Mustang) has real knock-offs on it so if you want a general idea of how a wheel looks with them check out my website at 427cobra.com
Anyone interested? Post here or e-mail me at [email protected].com
Thanks,
Jim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-12-22 20:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey Jim, I'd really like to see the pics! This would be a great subtle mod.

Richard

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Jim,I bet that does look cool! Sounds like you do a little machine work now and then! It is nice to make a few one-offs for your car,I know I enjoy doing the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wheels are indeed Trigo's. Lynn Park makes them and I am a dealer. However, I am only referring to putting a simulated knock-off on the wheel center of the original Bullitt wheel. This setup replaces the plastic snap-in OEM center medalion and can easily be returned to stock.

For those interested in additional data on the Cobra it is a Midstates body. I designed the frame as well the actual suspension components. I have OEM type engineering drawings from which I started the design so it would simulate the original. It has an NOS 427 side oiler block, aluminum heads, titanium valves, roller cam, roller rockers, forged crank w/ Brinnel markings, LeMans rods, OEM dual 4V intake and carbs (soon to be changed to Webers), self made stainless steel headers, stainless steel side pipes. The car has a 6 speed transmission, a Ford 9" rear end converted to independent rear suspension using CNC machined hubs and lower control arms and quad aluminum coil over shocks. The brakes are Wilwood Dynalite III's w/ separate calipers for the emergency brakes. I plotted everything out and designed my own wiring harness that used correct terminals and wire covering. All of the air flow duct work, foot well covers, firewall cover and gas tank are hand made from stainless steel. I made the dash from sheet metal and woodgrained it and used OE type Smith gauges including the 180 MPH reverse rotation speedometer. The seats are OE type steel tube frame covered with English Connelly leather hides. The carpet is OE 100% Wilton III wool. Although the body is fiberglass all raw 'glass was finished off. All areas are finished smooth even if covered up by upholstery etc. The bottom of the car has the same finish as the outside. I have a folding convertible top as well as a removable hard top.
I could go on and on but this covers the bulk of it.
Thanks, Jim

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Jim,you are THE man! I bet that thing will tear your head off! Sounds like you really did an outstanding job on that Cobra.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Jim,

I would be interested in purchasing the chrome spinner knockoffs depending on the price. Thanks for posting.

Merry Chistmas!

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
I am interested in what these look like as well. I have Craiger SS wheeles on my 68 with the knockoffs and love the way the look. Something like this on the Bullitt would look GREAT;-).. I really want to see what your photos look like as well.

Hey SF, are in actuall in San Francisco? I'm North of you a bit. I'm in Windsor, but work in San Rafael at Autodesk Inc. :wink:...

Take care.

Bud

·
Registered
216 Posts
BudACAD,

I'm on the borderline of Daly city and San Francisco. A couple of minutes away from Lake Merced. Windsor was pretty hot ih the real estate market not too long ago as I kept hearing people relocating there. I commute to Hayward everyday in the Bullitt and currently taking a mandatory vacation until January 2nd. I've been thinking of taking a few pictures over by Fort Kronkite overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge sometime next week. Might be a possibility of us hooking up since you work nearby in San Rafael. Have you seen any other Bay Area Bullitts? I've only seen one driving home from Pacifica which was a Black Bullitt. Could've been my Millbrae Bullitt neighbor.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
I was in the City today. We go to the Norwegian Seaman's Church every year for Christmas. I took a few photos of 227 as we drove over the bridge. also have a couple shots on Hyde street as a Cable Car goes by :wink:

The housing market is nuts in Windsor. Lots of growth in the area as well.

I work in San Rafael but am also off until the 2nd. We take a week every year at Christmas time.

I have talked to a couple Bullitt owners in the area. Even some of the guys working at a couple of the dealerships in the area purchsed Bullitts. One guy lives here in Windsor as well. Both of us had our Engines replaced and that one hit a little toooo close to home<G>.

Send me some eMAIL to [email protected] Maybe we can try to hook up. The weather is supposed to be good this week.

Nice meeting you.

Bud

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been off line while I rebuild my computer. I also bought a Sony digital camera so I am trying to learn about it and will get pix of the wheel knock-offs posted as soon as I can.
Thanks to all interested.
Jim
thecobraguy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts