Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so tonight I was working and a call comes out where a male pulled a female out of the car and was beating her up. The person who called 911 reported that the male was hitting her and she was on the ground. Units were dispatched and dispatchers told responding officers that the caller left the area. Before the caller disconnected with dispatch the caller said that he left as she was trying to reach for his car.

I can't believe people. A woman is getting beat up and they just run. Afraid of getting shot or hurt is something to consider but I guess for me its not hard to consider.

Anyway just wanted yalls thought on it.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
That pretty much sums up a lot of people. Don't want to get involved.. I could see if they were afarid he may have a weapon or something but if he left the area then there is no excuse for not helping her until you got there.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea that's what i think. i understand times are getting more violent and everyone has a gun or knife. since they changed the law about carrying a gun in the car it sucks. but why couldn't he at least stay near by or just beat the crap out of that guy. i would not have taken the caller to jail for helping out someone else. you can beat someone else up if you are protecting a third person. just make sure the third person writes a statement. lol. and once the suspect stops fighting you must stop too, you can't just keep kickin him when he's down.

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
I hear you. Most people are not trained to deal with situations like the one you posted above and I believe their first reaction is to flee or not get involved. At least the caller dialed 911. As a civilian who is a former LEO, I may have handled it differently depending on the circumstances. :bigguns:

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
I think you know what would have happened if that was me......
jason would be calling for the meat wagon......
i hope the woman is ok..... i feel your pain son.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
That's a tough call. But I think my first instinct would be to get out of my car and try to get him away from her by distracting him. Get on his backside. If I was in my truck I'd probably want to take a swing at him,:eek:

with my front bumper!:rolleyes: After all, I wouldn't want to mess up the Bullitt bumper...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea as leo i feel differently than most citizens, thats why i am leo. i am glad he dialed 911 but what killed me is that she was reaching out for help with her hand, reaching for his car and he took off. i think you need to check your boys and make sure you still have em.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I would have had no problem going up to the guy to try and stop him, but I am bigger than most men. I also happen to have a .45 strapped to my hip most times.

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
5111 said:
...I also happen to have a .45 strapped to my hip most times.
Oh yeah, well I have Kung Fu grip and life-like hair.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
I witnessed something like this once and all I had to do was to begin taking pictures. The guy stopped immediatelly and decided not to get involved with another battle with the police on the way.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tonight while working i met someone who said they knew the guy who called this in. the guy who knew the called worked as a bouncer at a local bar. i wanted to tell him that his friend, the caller, drove off when she reached for help but didn't. i would have got ****ed again.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i can't say that work i guess so i'll just say i would have got mad again.

7,020 Posts
being a hero can cost you big time !

OK here is a reason not to interfere.

True Case ... Man see man beating women, man run to her aid man pulls man off woman throwing him to the ground and holds him down on the ground until ploice arrive.

Facts ... Women is man's wife, wife did not file charger against her husband but husband and wife filed chargers against man who comming to her aid, both criminal and civil.

Judgement for the husband & women ... her rescuer spent time in jail for assult and battery, paid all medical bills and punitive damages for pain and suffering for both husband and wife.

So think twice before you go to the aid of someone !

on your six ... DHG 1005

·
Registered
976 Posts
Have BULLITT will travel said:

True Case ... Man see man beating women, man run to her aid man pulls man off woman throwing him to the ground and holds him down on the ground until ploice arrive.

Facts ... Women is man's wife, wife did not file charger against her husband but husband and wife filed chargers against man who comming to her aid, both criminal and civil.

Judgement for the husband & women ... her rescuer spent time in jail for assult and battery, paid all medical bills and punitive damages for pain and suffering for both husband and wife.

on your six ... DHG 1005
That's what I was thinking - too many sue happy people.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Have BULLITT will travel said:

on your six ... DHG 1005
If you always live life in fear of being sued you will not do anything in life. Doctors wouldn't practice medicine, teachers wouldn't teach, pilots wouldn't fly, etc. I doubt that many of us could watch a man beat a woman and not do or say anything.

That being said, usually a presence is enough. You don't have to go and physically restrain the man. Something similiar happened with one of Stacy's roommates and an ex-con boyfriend. I didn't get in the middle, I just walked out and asked "Is everything okay" with a serious look on my face but not accusing anyone. The boyfriend looked at me, called her a couple of names, and then left. He had no problem smacking around a girlfriend, but didn't want to get someone else, particularly a man, involved.

If you do decided to approach the couple, definitely have your cellphone to your ear with 911 punched in and ready to go. Not that it is the same thing, but I don't break up fights at school. Instead I simply approach the group and tell them that I have the principal on the other line. The place usually vacates pretty fast including the fighters.

·
Premium Member
7,414 Posts
In reality none of us really know how we would have reacted in this situation since we weren't there, we can only say after the fact what we would have done, after all the adrenalin wasn't involved.
I think I would have done things differently, but I can't say for sure. I'm big enough the average guy may back down, but I would have tried to use my head first (and not as a punching bag) before I got physical.
Most punks would run off, but you're always taking a chance these days, the only thing that would worry me is them having a gun.

I sure hope she's OK.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
5111 said:
If you always live life in fear of being sued you will not do anything in life. Doctors wouldn't practice medicine, teachers wouldn't teach, pilots wouldn't fly, etc. I doubt that many of us could watch a man beat a woman and not do or say anything.

That being said, usually a presence is enough. You don't have to go and physically restrain the man. Something similiar happened with one of Stacy's roommates and an ex-con boyfriend. I didn't get in the middle, I just walked out and asked "Is everything okay" with a serious look on my face but not accusing anyone. The boyfriend looked at me, called her a couple of names, and then left. He had no problem smacking around a girlfriend, but didn't want to get someone else, particularly a man, involved.

If you do decided to approach the couple, definitely have your cellphone to your ear with 911 punched in and ready to go. Not that it is the same thing, but I don't break up fights at school. Instead I simply approach the group and tell them that I have the principal on the other line. The place usually vacates pretty fast including the fighters.

I totally agree with Dee. Who ever the DA was on the case is an idiot and so is the attorney for the person trying to help. In Texas you are okay to intervene with a fight and use self defense for someone else if they are not able to defend themselves. Police do it all the time. Example: If Jon is holding a gun to Amy's head I can shoot Jon. I know that is not a great example but other instances are physical fights between friends or married couples. I think we all made our point on how we feel about this. More to come next week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts