Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Where is the PATRIOTISM?

2K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  From the other side 
#1 ·
Subject: THIS SAYS IT ALL!

[John J. Kendrick]

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma School officials remove "God Bless America" signs from schools in fear that someone might be offended.

Channel 12 News in Long Island, New York, orders flags removed from the newsroom and red, white, and blue ribbons removed from the lapels of reporters. Why? Management did not want to appear biased and felt that our nations flag might give the appearance that "they lean one way or another."

Berkeley, California bans U.S. Flags from being displayed on city fire trucks because they didn't want to offend anyone in the community.

In an "act of tolerance" the head of the public library at Florida Gulf Coast University ordered all "Proud to be an American" signs removed so as to not offend international
students.

I, for one, am quite disturbed by these actions of so-called American citizens; and I am tired of this nation worrying about whether or not we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on September 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled in New York and Washington D.C. when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America. In fact, our country's population is almost entirely comprised of descendants of immigrants; however, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some native Americans, need to understand.

First of all, it is not our responsibility to continually try not to offend you in any way. This idea of America being a multi-cultural community has served only to dilute our
sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language, and our own lifestyle. This culture, called the "American Way" has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. Our forefathers fought, bled, and died at places such as Bunker Hill, Antietam, San Juan, Iwo Jima, Normandy, Korea, Vietnam.

We speak English, not Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society -- learn our language!
"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some off-the-wall, Christian, Right Wing, political slogan -- it is our national motto. It is engraved in stone in the House of Representatives in our Capitol and it is printed on our currency. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation; and this is clearly documented throughout our history. If it is
appropriate for our motto to be inscribed in the halls of our highest level of Government, then it is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools.

God is in our pledge, our National Anthem, nearly every patriotic song, and in our founding documents. We honor His birth, death, and resurrection as holidays, and we turn to Him in prayer in times of crisis. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture and we are proud to have Him.

We are proud of our heritage and those who have so honorably defended our freedoms. We celebrate Independence Day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and Flag Day. We have parades, picnics, and barbecues where we proudly wave our flag. As
an American, I have the right to wave my flag, sing my national anthem, quote my national motto, and cite my pledge whenever and wherever I choose. If the Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet.

The American culture is our way of life, our heritage, and we are proud of it. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. We are Americans, like it or not, this is our country, our land, and our lifestyle.

Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion about our government, culture, or society, and we will allow you every opportunity to do so. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great American freedom, the right to leave.

If you agree, pass this onto other Americans!!
It is time to take a stand!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-10-27 10:53 ]</font>

See less See more
#2 ·
I know I risk starting a flame war here(I hope not though)but I feel compelled to speak out here.

First off, I agree with you on your fervor and patriotism. I too think we should display our support for our governments actions and disgust for the acts brought upon us.

But what are we really supporting? Being the person that I am, I am supporting our way of life and the priveldges that living in the United States allows. This does include the freedom of speech. And silence is certainly included in that. While I may not agree with why they are not showing their patriotism, I do support them not doing it.

That said, I certainly undstand why you are upset. I feel that political correctness has gotten way out of hand, but public opinion has driven that. So who do we blame for that? Unfortunately I would have to say we would have to blame ourselves as a society.

Like I said, this was not intended as a flame. All I hoped to express was that we should allow this behavior, without ridicule. We should, however, offer our own opinion in rebuttal.

#5 ·
What I find even more alarming is the fact that our leaders in Washington, D.C. have the balls to begin the praying, pledges and such when just days/weeks earlier they are not supporting our kids right for prayer in school. I find that the hypocrital society that we live in is astonishing.

GTBULLITT02321 - this was well said and the people that find this offensive are the hypocrits. They will USE the USA for their gains, but be the first to condem it.

As a USAF vet I have seen many countries that wish they had the freedoms that we Americans have. Some of us Americans take these freedoms for granted. We had better wake up or history will repeat itself.

#6 ·
Hey 2321, I agree with everything you said - beleive me, this kind of politically coorect bullshit started in Canada about 20 or so years ago when they put in this multiculturalism crap (instead of the great 'melting pot' we have the 'salad bowl')where everyone's differences are bowed down to in order to be politically correct. I am not trying to be a *******, but I agree with everything you said. So many people before us gave so much for our way of life, and now when we need it most people feel guilty about offending minorities by waving a flag? This is truly a sad state of affairs, BTW there are quite a few American flags being displayed up here these days - we definitely need more people to get up and take a stand.

#7 ·
Being a Canadian citizen on an student visa status in California, I have seen both Canadian and American issues on political correctness, and I think it's not even worth it to call it a pile of 'poop'. Why should a nation be worried of offending it's own people with the standards it was based on? It just doesn't make sense. I love the fact that I'm Canadian, but I also love the fact that I'm here in the US as well. Being here and experiencing all the patriotism, flags, and all, I almost FEEL American. :grin: Well said, Bullitt 02321!!!

#10 ·
My biggest gripe is that this nation will never really be a whole until we all stop identifying ourselves as African American, Irish American, Mexican American, where ever the hell you're from American. If you were born here, you're an American. PERIOD. Until people get behind that idea, we are always going to have a weak identity as a nation.

#11 ·
I am a patriot.
I AM an AMERICAN!

I try to keep reminding myself of the horrific events of September 11th at least once every day and try to take a moment to remember those who died. And even though I didn't personally know anyone who was unfortunate enough to be there that day, my heart goes out to everyone. It's easy to forget that heroes, TRUE heroes, are still there, searching through the rubble. Not to find survivors, but to find the remains of the victims so they may have some dignity in their deaths.

Before September 11th, I was one of the most cynical Americans alive, and at 25 yrs old, that's pretty awful. I loved my country, don't get me wrong, but our leaders in Washington left a lot to be desired. But in the weeks since then, I've been overwhelmed by a sense of American pride; patriotism is an amazing feeling that you cannot describe to anyone. For the first time in my lifetime, our government is working. They are working for the good of the American people and our rights to freedom. And that makes me truly proud to be an American.

And these PC @ssholes; What are you afraid of? Who are we going to offend by waving our flag in support of our country? The only people that I can name are terrorists. True America haters. And these are the people that I *want* to offend. And if anyone else is offended by patriotism? To them I ask why the f*** are you here then? If you don't like it, don't let the door hit you in the @ss on the way out!

Red. White. Blue.

These colors don't run!
These colors don't fade!

Fly Old Glory with pride, and my God be with our brave men and women of the armed forces.

God bless the US.

#12 ·
Iam an American and damm proud of it. I agreed with every person that has posted to this thread. I spent 22 years of my life defending your right to freedom of speech. My Father spent 32 years in the Army, my Grandfather spent 25 years in the Navy. My younger brother 20 years in the Air Force. Our family believed in God-Honor-Country. That is my opinion.I base this opinion on the 22 years as a USMC Retiree.Thank You
:bullitt:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mb4875 on 2001-10-26 08:58 ]</font>

#13 ·
***Received this email from THE AMERICAN CENTER FOR LAW AND JUSTICE and thought that I would just pass this information along***

The ACLU, Freedom From Religion Foundation and their allies don't really want you to know about this ...

... but they have sought to intimidate school boards into removing "God Bless America" signs across the country, in a vicious attempt to SILENCE our children and grandchildren from declaring their patriotism while America is at war!

They can be stopped - but I must ask you to sign our PATRIOTIC EXPRESSION OF RELIGIOUS FAITH PETITION right away -

http://www.aclj.net/aclj/patriotic.cfm?dn=1008&commid=13292932&id=470146

- and after signing, send this message to your friends so that others can join this NATIONWIDE petition campaign!

It's absurd that our national leaders can call for prayer ... that the song "God Bless America" can play in stores ... that the phrase "God Bless America" is showing up everywhere from T-shirts to highway billboards ...

... but our children and grandchildren cannot even UTTER these three words at school!

Why?

- The ACLU has determined that "God Bless America" is "a hurtful, divisive message" ...

- They claim that schools who allow its display are "dividing its young students along religious lines" ...

- And other liberal groups have also gone after the Pledge of Allegiance because of its "one nation, under God" phrasing.

Both "God Bless America" and the Pledge of Allegiance are CONSTITUTIONALLY PROTECTED free speech. The ACLU and other anti-faith, anti-freedom organizations have no sound legal argument to silence our students ...

... but for some reason, they keep trying to ELIMINATE religious speech - especially in schools!

That is why I need you to sign the American Center's "Patriotic Expression of Religious Faith Petition."

We will be sending a letter to each school superintendent in every state that outlines the legal issues on why such phrases as "God Bless America" and "One nation, under God" are constitutionally permissible.

It will let each school superintendent know the number of specific people, and their names, who have signed on to the petition from their state.

The petition sends a strong message of encouragement and admonishment to NOT give in the ACLU's threats. Our children and grandchildren need to know that they have the right to free speech - including religious speech - even when they're in school!

I urge you to sign this petition IMMEDIATELY so that we can help stop the ACLU's attacks and other threats to our Christian liberties.

But I also ask that you PRAY for this campaign - and for our efforts nationwide to defend your rights.

And if you can, please consider sending a tax-deductible contribution to help with the costs of our involvement all across America. We have committed our organization to defend free speech and keep "God Bless America" posted, and preserve the right of students to say the Pledge. Your help would truly be appreciated!

http://aclj.donation-net.net/donation/e_trans.cfm?dn=1008&commid=13292932&id=470146

Too much is at stake for you to put off your involvement in our fight for our rights ... so please - sign the petition today!

Also please send this email to your address book ... so many more voices can be heard.

Thank you for standing with me during these difficult times. May God bless you - and may God bless America!

#14 ·
Like Karl, I was born in Germany, but I am a naturalized citizen and PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN. You don't have to be born here to feel that. I agree that America should be a melting pot and not a salad bowl. Political correctness is a bunch of bull in my humble opinion. God bless America

#15 ·
My wife and I were married on the 4th of July 1998 in Barranquilla, Colombia. The priest performing the ceremony incorporated the closing lines from the "Declaration of Independence" stating that they truely represented the spirit of matrimony on a day special to all the people of the American Hemisphere. For it was then that true Freedom 1st appeared on these shores.

She may have her Colombian flag, and I have an Imperial German flag in rememnbrance of our ancestral roots, but only the Stars and Stripes flies from our home.

You can add a Pasadena, TX elementry school to your list of those suppressing the American spirit by preventing students from wearing patriotically themed clothing. I pointed out to the superintendant in an e-mail that "As a governmental authority, the school district is bound by the Constitutiton and all its amendments. The prohibition described in the (news)item is clearly a violation of the students' 1st amendment right to free speech." And that's what the PC crowd is doing. They would fade from view were they to be charge in federal court with violating our 1st amendment rights.

#16 ·
Regarding Dawnygirls post about God Bless America and the likes.
I am one of those liberals that were mentioned in the post. I also consider myself an atheist.
I did think that it was a little strange when our country got terrorized by religious zealots and then we turned around and started shouting, what else, God Bless America. I am a firm believer that religion and politics should be seperated, in an effort to avoid EXACTLY what has happened to those poor folks over there in Afghanistan. My two cents.

#17 ·
Just remember, here in America you have the right to be an atheist. If you were one of the "poor folks over there in Afghanistan" you'd be executed for your non belief. Under Taliban rule, the death penalty is handed out for homosexuality, adultery, teaching Christianity, and lots more. And before you write my statements off as stupid hype, overreacting, or exagerating, check out recent history. Wonderful thing about the internet is you can read news from sources all over the world to get a clearer picture of things abroad.

#18 ·
The flag IS NOT a religious symbol.
- It flew at Yorktown when we sent the British packing and declared our right to govern ourselves.
- It flew at Gettysburg, Bull Run and Shiloh when thousands of young men fought and died to free the slaves.
- It flew over Europe when thousands of Americans fought and died to stop on of the most evil forces in the history of mankind.
- It flew in Korea where we drew the line and said "Communism stops here!"
- It flew at Iwo Jima when we took back the Pacific region from a Japanese dictatorship that had terrorized that part of the world for centuries.
- It flew over the rubble of the world trade center where brave heroes died trying to rescue people that they didn't even know, because it was their job. Those heroes, and all the innocent victims has their lives stolen by a bunch of power hungry, insane, godless hypocrites who have no place amoung civilized people. George Bush said it well "In this struggle, God is not impartial." This is as clear a struggle between good and evil as there ever has been. All you PC bedwetters had better crawl back into the woodwork because average Americans are finally tired of your mamby pamby non-commital, cowardly, releativistic bullshit.
- It also flies in front of MY house. And if anyone doesn't like it, they can take it up with me!

The CatSmasher

PS - Another American flag was draped over my fathers casket when I was six years old and now hangs proudly on the wall of my office, along with his military ribbons and medals. That is another flag that no one had ever better try and mess with!

2001 Bullitt #1585

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CatSmasher on 2001-10-26 17:14 ]</font>

#19 ·
Fromtheotherside,
You say that the terrorists are religious zealots. You are wrong! They use religion as a sheild while they carry out their acts of murder. It is about power and money, not religion. You equate Christian patriots with these terrorists?!?! You should be ashamed of yourself!
You have a right to be an atheist. While I may pray for your soul, I will not criticize you for your belief (or lack of belief). But you make a big mistake when you equate the slogan "God Bless America" with terrorist lies.

#21 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-26 16:09, Warlon wrote:
Just remember, here in America you have the right to be an atheist. If you were one of the "poor folks over there in Afghanistan" you'd be executed for your non belief. Under Taliban rule, the death penalty is handed out for homosexuality, adultery, teaching Christianity, and lots more. And before you write my statements off as stupid hype, overreacting, or exagerating, check out recent history. Wonderful thing about the internet is you can read news from sources all over the world to get a clearer picture of things abroad.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
100% right. You just illustrated why government and religion should be seperated. So I can continue to voice my opinion without having my neck snapped.
It's good to be free.

Los Angeles, CA.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: From the other side on 2001-10-26 18:12 ]</font>

#22 ·
there must be a devine...call that god, jahweh,allah,budda, Q from startrek, the great elmarco......whatever/whoever....
how else can u explain that humans still live on earth? after the way we constantly kill each other... someone with 1/2 a brain has to step in and save us from ourselves cause we sure cant !!!!
and thats the bottom line cause ''stone cold said so''..he's from Texas too...

#23 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-26 17:10, CatSmasher wrote:
Fromtheotherside,
You say that the terrorists are religious zealots. You are wrong! They use religion as a sheild while they carry out their acts of murder. It is about power and money, not religion. You equate Christian patriots with these terrorists?!?! You should be ashamed of yourself!
You have a right to be an atheist. While I may pray for your soul, I will not criticize you for your belief (or lack of belief). But you make a big mistake when you equate the slogan "God Bless America" with terrorist lies.
Hmmm, I think that these people are definitely religious zealots. They may be power hungry religious zealots, but they are still religious zealots. I didn't (or didn't mean to) compare Christian patriots to these people. I don't think that "God Bless America" or "One nation under God" are uniquely Christian,
especially used in the context that they are. Thanks for praying for me. It always makes me feel good when I know that someone's thinking about me. :smile:

Los Angeles, CA.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: From the other side on 2001-10-26 18:18 ]</font>

#24 ·
On 2001-10-26 17:54, texasbullitt wrote:
there must be a devine...call that god, jahweh,allah,budda, Q from startrek, the great elmarco......whatever/whoever....
how else can u explain that humans still live on earth? after the way we constantly kill each other... someone with 1/2 a brain has to step in and save us from ourselves cause we sure cant !!!!
and thats the bottom line cause ''stone cold said so''..he's from Texas too...
LOL on the Stone Cold thing!
Well, if Stone Cold said so, and, well, who am I to mess with Texas.

Los Angeles, CA.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: From the other side on 2001-10-26 18:04 ]</font>

#26 ·
Dudes,
I Believe in free speech and the seperation of state and religion.... But I'm FreaKing OFFENDED when do gooders say it might offend some ******* by flying the Red White and Blue..... All those offended jerks can pack their anthax powder and box cutters up and carry their coward ass back to the freaking hole they came from... I'm setting here in my Freaking house at 3400 Woodburne Dr Va Bch Va. If they had a hair on their ass they'd come try and prove me wrong
No Flame toward any one except the cowards hidding in their hole..... You can send ME some Anthax ******* I got my Shots uncle sam made me take.... If I in return, get see what base ball bat can do to your head.
Come on cowards lets play hard ball, with p*ssed American

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.