Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking back on my strip runs Friday,I had added a KN filter and a fairly effective ram-air setup. Going thru the traps in 3rd gear gave me a 99.7 MPH. That's about what a stock Bullitt will do I guess,though some have gone over 100. So I would think that I should have seen a slight improvement in the speed. I tested the ram-air with a leaf blower,about 3ft. from the front end,and got a healthy flow of air out the throttle plate end of the air duct,past the MAF. Maybe a chip is needed to show an improvement.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Mus408, you were going to get Paul S. to burn you a custom chip weren't you?

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked with the guys at Paul's High Performance today. They indicated that a ram-air type duct at the front isn't all that effective at adding any additional power over simply having the silencer trimed back! In fact they hadn't seen a whole lot with the K&N filter! I think a large free flowing tube with the filter in the fender area might work as well,at least I won't be sucking up all the bugs,like with this ram=air deal. The kit,they are working on will probally include pulleys and a chip. There just aren't any cheap ways to make big power gains on the 4.6. Of course headers,high flow cats,and cat back,might add 20 HP,but for $1000 bucks,I don't know!

·
Registered
762 Posts
I added the exhaust mods to my car already but only because I was initially shopping for a Cobra and had few bucks left over since I got the Bullitt. I can only speak for my car but the gains were pretty significant especially when you consider the fact that the motor still isn't broken in. I too spoke to Paul and I'm going to wait for his Bullitt performance package. In the mean time I will be getting a chip from him. I did some research through my past issues of 5.0 and Super Ford (August 2001)and found an article where his stage II Cobra intake made an additional 40 hp on a N/A application. I believe that something similar can be expected with our intake. I'm not saying that he is doing R&D on one, that is, a similarly modified intake, but if I were a bettin' man...

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
roush, Ford used an outside tuner/dyno for some of their work when they were developing the Bullitt and i think there's a GOOD chance paul has some knowledge of the Bullitt already!! plus Ford Racing developed our intake 2 summers ago and a few of the MNRA racers were using it 2 summers ago with the blessings of Ford Racing. i know Barry Sheppard was one and there's a chance that Paul was another
that was a VERY good article on Pauls developed Stage II intake/chip tuning for the 96/97/98 Cobra in the August 2001 issue of 5.0/Super Ford and $1200.00 plus chip cost for 40 HP (with intake exchange) isn't too shabby a gain for a relatively small outlay of cash. his medium gains were at low RPM's and BIG gains at high RPM's. midrange torque and HP was unchanged or even a little on the downside.
Mus408, the inside of his new Cobra intake is shiny, smooth, & polished!can't wait to do that to my baby next year!!!

2001 Bullitt DHG #648

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-07-09 17:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
762 Posts
Let's just wait and see. MUS408 I asked about an engine swap for a friend over here and found out that it would cost in the neighborhood of $7000.00 to $8000.00 and that was going from a GT to Cobra. Not too cost effective unless you have good friends in all the right places ie parts, and installation. But no doubt the 4V motor is strong and has greater potential than a 2V albeit at a greater price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts