Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since I have my birthday coming up I'm wanting to spend some big bucks on something aftermarket. I really want to do a cam swap, but I have no idea what I'm looking for. I want to keep it streetable, but at the same time give it something with some grunt. I plan on doing 4.10 gears, JLT, valve spring upgrade and a tune in the next year or so and I want something that will really go well with those mods. Also there seems to be alot of companies who offer cams for our cars, Comp, Crower, VT, Edelbrock, Crane etc. So what's the best company to go with and best profile for an everyday driver that likes to run hard? And another thing - will I need to replace the cam gears or can i reuse the stock ones?

Looking at comp cams XE278AH cams, but thinking that may be a little too agressive. Recommendations/opinions? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I would say call the cam company for suggestions. They will want to know many things about the car, where and how it will be driven, any mods to the car (past and future). They will also tell you about any upgrades to the valve train. Experience says call the cam grinder.

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
High-Performance Mustang Builder's Guide 1994-2004 by Sean Hyland and

Building 4.6/5.4l Ford Horsepower on the Dyno by Richard Holdener

are two good places to start learning about cams. Do your research before you buy.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
hey brad, you didn't say if you were palnning a head swap also, or just doing cams with the stock PI heads... any plans to port/polish the stock heads?

shaun

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SniperStang said:
hey brad, you didn't say if you were palnning a head swap also, or just doing cams with the stock PI heads... any plans to port/polish the stock heads?

shaun
I think eventually I will [port/polish the stock heads], but I hadn't planned on it in the immediate future. There's a great deal of mods I'd LIKE to do but lack of mechanical knowledge and $$$ are going to be my limiting factors. Its really hard to be paying off your car and trying to do mods all while going into your senior year of college working part time!! Haha but if you think that's going to stop me...

Does a head swap or a port/polish make a difference in cam selection? Oh and also I'm still wondering if the stock cam gears are reusable?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
After much, much, much, much, much research:

Do it all at once: Head P&P, Cams, Dyno Tune (you will SAVE money in the end)

Option #1: Stage I P&P and VT stage I cams (no need to change v-springs)

Option #2: Powerheads "Street" Head/Cam package (Stage I)

Stay away from SHM & Patriot Performance.

Please understand that in the end, you will have spent just as much on this N/A package as you would have on a supercharger. (unless you are doing the work yourself)

Remember: save the money & DO IT ALL AT ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Wolverine said:

Please understand that in the end, you will have spent just as much on this N/A package as you would have on a supercharger. (unless you are doing the work yourself)

Good luck
Experience talking then? :lol:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Wolverine said:

Good luck
great advice!!!

·
Registered
672 Posts
we did a set of our hp cams on a bullitt with u/d high flow x, and catback
248 before and like 285 ish after with just cams and they sound mean

$450.00

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have done CompCams xe262ah and love them. With o/r H, Flows, JLT cold air and a dyno tune with my DiabloPredator made 300rwhp and 313rwtq. It has a nice little lobe in it that is not quite as noticeable anymore after the Hooker Long Tube install. Great streetability. Did get new springs since we were inside.
I love the idea of an all motor car but to someone else's point the cost to do cams/install and Hooker LT's/install I could of had a Vortec put in at Modular Power House. Don't get me wrong, I love my mods but.....

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
but if i do cams install myself, and get cams/valves/springs, plus do a tune, i should be able to use the stock heads and get respecatble numbers, right? the stock heads should be good for more power, plus hold up to nitrous okay... right?

shaun

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
cvclaya said:
I have done CompCams xe262ah and love them. With o/r H, Flows, JLT cold air and a dyno tune with my DiabloPredator made 300rwhp and 313rwtq. It has a nice little lobe in it that is not quite as noticeable anymore after the Hooker Long Tube install. Great streetability. Did get new springs since we were inside.
I love the idea of an all motor car but to someone else's point the cost to do cams/install and Hooker LT's/install I could of had a Vortec put in at Modular Power House. Don't get me wrong, I love my mods but.....
That particular CompCam is a "light" cam, right?

Were the springs absolutely necessary with this cam or did you simply want newer springs?

·
Registered
330 Posts
VT Stage 2 cams are by far the best for NA applications. The MPH 2.5 Heads are also top notch. This is of course my personal opinion.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Bullitt Brad said:
I think eventually I will [port/polish the stock heads], but I hadn't planned on it in the immediate future. There's a great deal of mods I'd LIKE to do but lack of mechanical knowledge and $$$ are going to be my limiting factors. Its really hard to be paying off your car and trying to do mods all while going into your senior year of college working part time!! Haha but if you think that's going to stop me...

Does a head swap or a port/polish make a difference in cam selection? Oh and also I'm still wondering if the stock cam gears are reusable?
If you are going to replace cams you might as well port and polish at the same time. If you definately plan on P&P, which is the only way to take advantage of cams, you will save a TON of money by doing while you have the heads off for the cam replacement.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Stay away from the xe278ah cams they are too big for the everyday driver, if you do get these you might as well get their cam gears to get them set properly because of ptv. No matter which cam you get might as well replace the springs. I have the non pi compcams in my car and made respectable numbers but I which I would have done 3 angle valve job instead of just port matching my heads. For a few hundred you can get your head ported with a gasket match which will make all the difference in the world when you will put the cams on.

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
theHULK said:
Stay away from the xe278ah cams they are too big for the everyday driver, if you do get these you might as well get their cam gears to get them set properly because of ptv. No matter which cam you get might as well replace the springs. I have the non pi compcams in my car and made respectable numbers but I which I would have done 3 angle valve job instead of just port matching my heads. For a few hundred you can get your head ported with a gasket match which will make all the difference in the world when you will put the cams on.

EVERYTHING he said I totally agree. The 278's have AWESOME lope, but they aren't practical.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts