Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
SWEEEET ... I got no problem with these ... (as long as they produce any TRICYCLES) !!!

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Gentlemen, welcome to the future! The Big 3 had better start doing things like this, or they will quickly become part of the past in the world of $130+/barrel oil.

·
Premium Member
12,937 Posts
Bullitt3817 said:
Gentlemen, welcome to the future! The Big 3 had better start doing things like this, or they will quickly become part of the past in the world of $130+/barrel oil.
FUTURE?????????????????????????????
Plug and play electric is SOOOOO short sighted it is beyond belief.
Pollution free? How stupid are people anyway???? The ONLY element of pollution free is the elimination of local emissions. Beyond that, EV has a decided negative energy and environmental cost/deficiency.
Where do you think the electric power comes from? Majority is is still oil/coal. Has anyone taken physics and heard of the concept of efficiency loss transforming energy from one form to another? Anyone understand the significant energy and environmental cost we are incurring from battery production/disposal?? Does anyone really believe an unlimited amount of electricity is available from your wall outlet such that our already overloaded national electric grid could support everyone plugging in a car at night???
Alternative forms of energy definately need to be explored. That will only come when the cost of pump gas is astronomical and/or when there is fundamental gov't partnership/support for corporations to do so.
Stuff like EV, or E85 are ALL energy deficient, and carry significant environmental or other cost impacts (food vs fuel anyone??). These are not the solutions, and are short sighted political panacea's to make people believe they are going green when in reality the truth is they are detrimental.

We are sheep.....

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
BULLITT3230 said:
Pollution free? How stupid are people anyway???? The ONLY element of pollution free is the elimination of local emissions. Beyond that, EV has a decided negative energy and environmental cost/deficiency.
Where do you think the electric power comes from? Majority is is still oil/coal. Has anyone taken physics and heard of the concept of efficiency loss transforming energy from one form to another? Anyone understand the significant energy and environmental cost we are incurring from battery production/disposal?? Does anyone really believe an unlimited amount of electricity is available from your wall outlet such that our already overloaded national electric grid could support everyone plugging in a car at night???
Alternative forms of energy definately need to be explored. That will only come when the cost of pump gas is astronomical and/or when there is fundamental gov't partnership/support for corporations to do so.
Stuff like EV, or E85 are ALL energy deficient, and carry significant environmental or other cost impacts (food vs fuel anyone??). These are not the solutions, and are short sighted political panacea's to make people believe they are going green when in reality the truth is they are detrimental.

We are sheep.....

A-Men brother!!!!!!

You hit that on the head squarely.

Where the hell does everyone think electricity come from???? It surely is not some magical clean resource, the cleanest that we have is nuclear power and even that has, as we all know, lasting implications to our environment. There are not enough windmills, hydro plants and solar collectors to power all of our homes and our cars.

Some may say well what about hydrogen, well that too is an alternative but it will not work in all markets nor is this country prepared to pay for the cost of building an infrastructre that would support it.

I am not saying these are not viable options but we need to quit listening to those in hollywood and our brilliant politicians who as usual have no real clue.

Intersting read here:

Hydrogen has caught the media’s attention widely in the past few years. I believe this is due to the fact of people’s misunderstanding of hydrogen and where it comes from. The public is told that hydrogen is environmentally friendly because its combustion yields only water vapor. What people look past is the current source of hydrogen. It is currently being obtained from natural gas, another primarily non-renewable resource. Hydrogen can also be obtained from electrolysis, but requires large amounts of electricity which is obtained primarily from coal, gas, and other power plants. Hydrogen is also the most flammable gaseous element known to man, and requires large compressed tanks of it to go anywhere. The biggest downfall of hydrogen fuel cell technology is the price of a fuel cell; they can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Then you have to find hydrogen stations which are next to non-existent as well.

If you think gas is at a premium now I think water will eventually be the next battle ground already all of the states, and Canada, surrounding the great lakes have signed a compact which will prevent water from being siphoned off of them.

Rant over :smile: :smile:

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
The fact that Hydrogen is maybe the most explosive element on the face of the Earth is also something to consider. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
there is that Doc no doubt about it.

Sorry to let this post go off target Mike. :guilty:

The car does look very cool I will give it that.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
How soon the population forgets. Remember the Hindenberg?

Anyone home?

HHHHeeeelllllllooooooo!

Transmission loss on aluminum wiring alone is 40%. If it's copper it is significantly less, but geez. It is still a loss.

OK, everyone. Install your blinders...

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Boom baby!!!

Actually further research has been done through the years and from what I have read it was the skin of the airship that was extremely flammable. Mainly the finish, a doping compound that they used on it. Now that is a just a theory I do not think anyone knows for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
So what about the Fischer-Tropsch process?

It turns coal into a fuel that can be used in a conventional engine, South Africa has been using this process for the last 30 years.

edit here:

Ok a little research and maybe I need to buy some stock in this company!!!

http://www.rentechinc.com/

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
BULLITT3230 said:

We are sheep.....
There are many ways to generate electricity. I'm not advocating electric cars that use electricity generated by burning fossil fuels. Now, electricity generated through renewable means (i.e. solar, wind, tidal, etc.) - that's the future.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
mustangwi said:
A-Men brother!!!!!!
There are not enough windmills, hydro plants and solar collectors to power all of our homes and our cars.
WTF

I seem to have this feeling my posts are not visible to all.....:doubt: :doubt: :doubt:

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
mustangwi said:
WTF

I seem to have this feeling my posts are not visible to all.....:doubt: :doubt: :doubt:
You are talking about the present. I am talking about the future.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Bullitt3817 said:
You are talking about the present. I am talking about the future.
So using Biomass and methane along with coal is not part of the future?

Solar panels have a long way to go considering that they run around 30 - 50%, maybe, efficient.

I am not saying it cannot be done but why not use what is now being wasted?

Edit 50% was way too high in my estimation: more like 11-16% percent efficiency

Wakonda is developing an inexpensive, patent-pending material that enables the production of high performance solar cells. Photovoltaic cells developed for satellites exceed 30 percent efficiency -- well above the efficiency of commercially-available silicon and thin film cells. However, these satellite cells are very costly, as they are produced on expensive single-crystal wafers made from III-V compounds such as gallium arsenide. Wakonda's proprietary technology and process enable a low cost, commercial material to simulate the expensive single crystal III-V wafer. The result is a new paradigm in solar cell manufacturing that could translate into significant cost efficiencies for almost all photovoltaic market applications.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I love this stuff!!!

http://wakondatech.com/

Discovering and researching this technology is great stuff.

I know when we built our house five years ago I looked into wind mills, solar power and heat pumps. And the payoff was just too high for us at the time. If these guys really can pull it off it will change the way most of us live. But for people in norther climates Solar is still a tough sell we need more days of sun than clouds to make it work for us.

How about floating power generation facilities that are above the clouds so they are always being powered......

Right......

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Of course biomass and methane can be part of the solution. A true solution to the energy crisis will include many different ways of producing energy, rather than relying on just one or two.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
The problem with wind power is the wind is in the central section of the US. The energy is needed in cities at least 500 miles from where it is generated. Currently, pun intended, the homeowner wind power generators cost about $50-80K each. And only supply power part of the time, when it is windy. So we need high volume storage batteries so that home owners can buy their own wind generators and sell the power to the energy company. But where can they store it? No place at the moment. To add to that, right now, the power grid is no where near what it needs to be for plug in electric cars, or home owners generating power to sell to the power company. We need to rebuild the entire infrastructure to make any of this even remotely worth taking a look at doing. So, I give it fifty years to get where we need to be today. Nevermind where we need to be tomorrow...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts