Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Browsing many of the popular Mustang message boards all I'd ever seem to find regarding the Bullitt as the topic of discussion is that of negative conversation, many comparing the Bullitt to a standard gt and arriving at the conclusion that the B is essentially "the same", if not in someway inferior, as/to the base gt. I had always figured these discussions very inaccurate for many arguing the shortcomings of the Bullitt have never actually driven, let alone seen a Bullitt. However after reading countless degrading posts about my/our mustangs I'll admit my pride and confidence in the Bullitt had been shaken.

My buddy recently picked up a stock 2002 5-speed gt and let's just say last weekend all of my "Bullitt insecurities" were put to rest as soon as I got behind the wheel.
Upon start-up I was severely disappointed with the lack of snarl (but hell, some aftermarket mufflers will fix that). As soon as I turned onto the sidestreet from the driveway the difference in steering was apparent. After taking the GT through some turns this difference in handling between the Bullitt and the gt was not just noticable, it was clear as day. Dropping the hammer from a dig and from a low-2nd gear roll lead me to realize that the Bullitt feels much "torquier" when compared to the gt. The gt felt quite slower in regard to overall acceleration, but the fact that there was over 200 lbs of cement in the trunk forced me to disregard the degree of SOP discrepancy.

Overall I can't believe how different the Bullitt feels from the standard gt. After driving a stock 2002 gt I believe there is no comparing a Bullitt to a gt......it is an obviously better car in all aspects, and I mean ALL. My little experience has not only restored my faith in the Bullitt but has also lead me to disregard most, if not all the "Bullitt-bashing" threads that are now quite obviously rooted in nothing more than ignorance.

Oh yeah, I'm also gonna replace the GT side badges now ;)

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
MC Q 6185 said:
Browsing many of the popular Mustang message boards all I'd ever seem to find regarding the Bullitt as the topic of discussion is that of negative conversation, many comparing the Bullitt to a standard gt and arriving at the conclusion that the B is essentially "the same", if not in someway inferior, as/to the base gt. I had always figured these discussions very inaccurate for many arguing the shortcomings of the Bullitt have never actually driven, let alone seen a Bullitt. However after reading countless degrading posts about my/our mustangs I'll admit my pride and confidence in the Bullitt had been shaken.

My buddy recently picked up a stock 2002 5-speed gt and let's just say last weekend all of my "Bullitt insecurities" were put to rest as soon as I got behind the wheel.
Upon start-up I was severely disappointed with the lack of snarl (but hell, some aftermarket mufflers will fix that). As soon as I turned onto the sidestreet from the driveway the difference in steering was apparent. After taking the GT through some turns this difference in handling between the Bullitt and the gt was not just noticable, it was clear as day. Dropping the hammer from a dig and from a low-2nd gear roll lead me to realize that the Bullitt feels much "torquier" when compared to the gt. The gt felt quite slower in regard to overall acceleration, but the fact that there was over 200 lbs of cement in the trunk forced me to disregard the degree of SOP discrepincy.

Overall I can't believe how different the Bullitt feels from the standard gt. After driving a stock 2002 gt I believe there is no comparing a Bullitt to a gt......it is an obviously better car in all aspects, and I mean ALL. My little experience has not only restored my faith in the Bullitt but has also lead me to disregard most, if not all the "Bullitt-bashing" threads that are now quite obviously rooted in nothing more than ignorance.

Oh yeah, I'm also gonna replace the GT side badges now ;)
Well said...an remember....people:badgrin: that dont know about the Bullitt..just dont need to know...u think?:lol:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I've felt on Mustang boards, that it separates the true enthusiasts from the halfass enthusiasts.

It's one thing that keeps it interesting I guess. Hearing some peoples **** and some peoples praise. I blow off the idiots as I know their idiots and are wrong, and I am right.

The biggest thing I get is... put some springs and shocks on a GT and it's the same thing. nah, more to it... and it's there from the factory :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,773 Posts
Originally, I was focused on wanting a mineral gray metallic GT. There were none to be found with a 5sp in all of Georgia when I went to buy. The savvy sales man asked if I had heard of the Bullitt....ya....but they don't come in mineral gray! LOL
So...he took me for a spin in a GT, immediately followed with a drive in a Bullitt. NIGHT AND DAY!!! I drove a dirty black one off the lot....but 3230 was sitting all shiny inside the showroom. Suddenly, blue looked pretty damn good!!! But, it's true...there is a HUGE difference in feel between the GT and Bullitt.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,030 Posts
Hey Kurt, our story is about like your story! :lol: We went to look at GT's and they were all downtown at a show for the day. The dealer asked if we had heard about the Bullitt and showed us the brochure, as they had not come out yet. I also wanted a Mineral Gray GT. :)

MC Q 6185, I think those people that are comparing GT's to Bullitts haven't driven or had a Bullitt. If they could compare by driving them, the Bullitt would win hands down. :wink: Especially around sharp, curvy roads, right Northwest Group? :lol:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Funny you guys are mentioning the Mineral Grey GT's as that was what I THOUGHT I wanted when Ford rolled out their 0% financing in late 2001. MG was a new color in 2001 if I remember correctly and I though it looked great on a Mustang.

I knew about the Bullitt but didn't think I could afford to get into one. When I drove one I knew I had to find a way to make the number work.

The rest, as they say, is history. ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've always liked the Bullitts, the interior, brakes, suspension, etc...........there's just no comparison IMO and to duplicate a Bullitt would be quite a task.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I guess for me the difference was initially in my mind as I had a 98 GT but had never driven the 2001 GT and that is still the case because once I saw the Bullitt brochure I said I had to have it. So for me the difference was a feeling of excitement I got just from looking at the Bullitt and to be honest that is still the important difference for me. I love that damn car even with its p.o.s. transmission. Additionally, it really doesn't bother me that our Bullitts are selling much cheaper than I think they should because for me it is "priceless."

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
I saw "Bullitt" when it came out and immediately wanted a '67 or '68 fastback. That was my first car when I turned 16. I owned another when I was in my 20's but it could never replace the good times I had in the first one.

When I saw the concept early on I knew I had to have it. I set list price as the limit I would pay. Somehow I got a $3500 discount from a dealer that thought it was just another GT.

Many of the young guys (I'm 47) don't know about the movie or don't care. Even some of the older guys feel this way. For me, the movie and the memories of my first car are forever etched in my mind. Maybe for me its just a big trip down memory lane everytime I look at the car. That's ok though because this car lives up to the memories.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
lol @ all the mineral gray comments

I was looking for a dark shadow gray GT myself, if I didn't get a Bullitt :D
this was 2.5yrs ago

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well I have to say that you guys are all right... The Bullitt is one awesome car!! And the handeling is fantastic! Within the first couple days of buying my car I took it up on a very curvy mountain side, and man it was so much fun! :) It was so great, I made my Dad a little car sick towards the end of the ride! :lol: Anyways, I love my car!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I drove a 04 gt before I bought my bullitt. And it is very true that it is completely diffrent. Bashing is for the birds, its just not worth it to get involved in the teenage drama queen stuff.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
i'm 22, but the movie was one of the main reasons i got the car! i wanted an 01 trans am, but i couldn't get away from the coolness McQueen factor of the bullitt. the guys bashing our cars on other boards dont get it at all.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
For me it's simple. The Bullitt has a soul and attitude that are greater than the sum of it's parts. Every time I look at my Bullitt I feel like Ford designed a car just for me. Anyone that does not appreciate the Bullitt is just not a true car guy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I believe you're referring to a little-known underground cell of Mustang forum
infiltrators known secretely as HMBHC or...the He-Man Bullitt-Haters Club.
Apparently their mission is to undermine the reputation of the Bullitt in order
to compensate for that "shrinking testicle" feeling when they happen to pull up
beside us at a stoplight. BTW, keep the fact that we're onto them on the down low!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
What makes Bullitt special to me?

IMBOC

·
Administrator
6,222 Posts
This car is a sleeper and subtle, as intended by design. When I first read about it, my reaction was "it's ugly without the spoiler" :)

It was not until I spent time with owners like you, reading about the movie, and then really looking at the design and performance details that I came to appreciate the cars.

When PY and I exchanged cars for a brief drive, my appreciation for the handling feel and sound went up even more.

To the untrained eye, it won't appear as much and will slip under the radar, just as intended! Mission accomplished!!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Me? I'm just a movie nut. I love driving a car that has a movie tie-in, even if only in tribute. The high performance part never mattered much to me (right!), but I do love the fact that it has a much better ride than my 5.0 did. Most people I've met (even Mustang people) don't even know what it is. "That's not a real GT, it doesn't have a spoiler". Even my dealer where I have it serviced had never even heard of one. It's different. It's rare (even if most people can't realize it) It's fun to drive (transmission excluded) and I love the sound.

I paid too much for it a year ago. I guess I'll just have to keep it.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
dennisbaker said:
I guess for me the difference was initially in my mind as I had a 98 GT but had never driven the 2001 GT and that is still the case because once I saw the Bullitt brochure I said I had to have it. So for me the difference was a feeling of excitement I got just from looking at the Bullitt and to be honest that is still the important difference for me. I love that damn car even with its p.o.s. transmission. Additionally, it really doesn't bother me that our Bullitts are selling much cheaper than I think they should because for me it is "priceless."
What they are selling for now isn't germaine since you, me and others have theirs. It only matters if your going to sell it. I'm not selling the Bullitt, the belt tightening will continue as necessary to keep the beast in the garage.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts