Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since joining on Sep. 1, all I read about is new shifters, exhaust, rear ends, spoilers, tires,throttle bodies, and on and on and on. My bullitt sounds fantastic, will run 14 flat, shifts just fine, and looks fantastic the way it was driven out of the showroom. Maybe this car isn't all that I think it is. Everybody wants to change it. Am I driving junk that needs thousands in mods before I can be proud of it? Whats going on out there?

1,169 Posts
I don't think people are unhappy,they just like to add some person touches,I to was suprised with some of the Mods. But on the other hand it's nice to see people enjoying there Bullitts and doing what they like with it.

The shifter is not just a mod, it will protect your trans,and looks stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im real happy with mine..4200 miles so far..daily driver..no problems,other than the spotted headlights! I think some people "nit-pick" to much! One could find something "wrong" with every new car on the planet! Bullitt gives about the best "bang for the buck"!!! Mike Black #2646

·
Registered
448 Posts
I absolutely love my car, just as it was delivered. However, I never feel the best about a vehicle until I do some personalizing on it. I can't explain it, but it is a need that I have to fill. Most of the mods I will do will be simple interior cosmetics, like the billet trim pieces, I would never do anything to the body like add a wing or something that would take away from the look it was designed for. As for performance, I might add a couple of little things, but it already outperforms any car that I have owned. Besides, I think that many of us bought Bullitts because we didn't want a car that looks like ones we see at every other intersection, these mods just help us be even a little more unique. :smile:

:bullitt:

·
Registered
153 Posts
XTC, Amen brother,I think that a lot of folks out there just ain't happy till they add this that and the other thing.That's kool! Whatever floats your boat, I guess.I'm just happy that I was able to get a Bullitt and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. The only mods that I've made to mine was to add a few billet interior stuff to go with some of the things that the car had when it left Dearborn. I love billet aluminum and wish that the car had a lot more of it.But one thing that I've learned from being on this planet for over 50 years is that sometimes it don't pay to mess too much with a good thing! BlackBullitt#1768

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm not unhappy with my car. On the contrary, I think she's the best vehicle I've owned and driven (well - my 91 SHO was a really good car, too). I tell everyone who asks me about the car about all the good things Ford did for this vehicle. I recommend Bullits, GTs or Cobras to anyone who thinks they'd like to get a "sporty car". Now, when I've nitpicked the seatbelt holder, or the possibility of swapped out cams on our cars I don't do it to be mean or abusive to Ford. I figure they've made decisions to keep pricing at a specific point. I just wish they'd confess and give us the information we need to make our own decisions. If our cars had all the "good stuff" what would they cost? $30,000? $35,000? Easily, I'll bet. For instance, I like the stock shifter, but it can be improved upon. I wouldn't touch the exhaust because I like it the way it is. The aluminum driveshaft intrigues me. Why is it quieter? Does it really make that much of a difference? Why didn't Ford put that on as original equipment? I've even considered order a set of Halibrand replica wheels. I think they'd be cool. Do I hate the stock wheels? Nope, everyone who sees the car loves them. They're probably the first thing people have commented to me on. But, I can't help but tinker. My wife says I'm a big child with a new toy. And she is absolutely correct. I love my toy and it's my toy and noone else should have a toy like my toy. (I believe that's a basic male philosophy -- my two year old is already demonstrating this trait). This car has all the ingredients to be an absolutely outstanding vehicle. I think she needs just a little bit of tweeking to get there. But, what I think is perfect, I'm sure many will disagree with. And I'm sure I'll see mods that will make me wish I'd thought of that or that I'll disagree with. But, I'll never tell. Because who am I to stomp on someone's idea of their perfect Bullitt. I belong to this club and I'll back up my fellow clubmembers because I love all our cars. Does anyone know if a Lightning's engine will fit - now that's my idea of the perfect Bullitt.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I don't think that is the majority concensus here. Like all things we buy that are mass produced, some run trouble free and others have problems. Goes back to the old saying? "What day was your car built?" I love this arena as a means to listen to the "love stories" but also, and more important, to hear of problems that can be addressed before the warranty has expired and we are stuck with the bill. What a wonderful and powerful website this has come to be. It is going to save those that might otherwise let time pass and do nothing until it is too late. Hats off to "bullittclub.com" and all it's members.

·
Registered
123 Posts
1100 miles, no complaints. Minor mods, I painted my grill pony flat black and added a few MGW trim pieces (the AC knobs transformed the dash). There are close to 400 owners on this board. If only 20 are so having problems, what does that tell you about the other 380?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree XTC. Sometimes this is more like the BullittWhinersClub. I added fog lights and MGW goodies to the interior, but would change nothing else. The car is incredible! Fast enough to be dangerous right off the showroom floor and looks that are hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
I love my car. There have been some issues that have annoyed me, but nothing that makes me regret buying it, or dislike driving it.

If I didn't like it, I wouldn't be paying for ISP service and webmaster support for BullittClub.com out of my own pocket. :smile:

Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's not whining you hear. That's people having fun! I live in El Paso, Texas, it's like Tatooine -- if there's a center of the galaxy I'm on the planet furthest from it. Where else can I gripe and cheer with guys and gals from California to Houston to Michigan to England? If this website ever closes I'll be cut off from some great stuff. I cheer when JBVobra set a new low e.t., I love it when someone posts pics of new wheels or photoshop ideas. I love it when I'm schooled on intakes and cam profiles by 01GTB. I love it when everyone joins in on a round of 99 Bottles of Beer. Speaking of which...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Whining?
Nah!
I loved the Bullitt on the dealer's lot.
But in some things I am a perfectionist (wristwatches, cars, helicopter flying)....so...
I do little things to make the car what perfection is to me...not what perfection is to Team Mustang.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I personally couldn't afford perfection. If the car was perfect, it would have cost thousands more. Give me a decent car that I can work with and I'm happy. If I were completely disappointed in the horsepower and fit and finish, I would have never bought it. Yeah, I have some gripes like others, but don't take them so seriously.

As far as the shifter goes, hell I liked the stock one. But the fact is, it wasn't made for jamming gears. If you have a habit of trying punch holes in the dash when shifting like I do, it is wise to upgrade to a shifter made to handle it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am extreamly happy with #692 - One thing I really like about the Bullitt is that it is a limited edition car - But I still want to personalize it to make it stand out from the other 3 or 4 that I know about in my area.

·
Banned
975 Posts
It's a personal thing. The bullitt a/c knobs,headlite knob,emer brake handle and pony lighter makes "MB 4875" stand out from other Mustangs at the shows. As for the shifter , basic protection from damage to trans. As for the new Hawk brake pads, I use a lot of brakes on twisty roads at home.

That my 2 cents. I enjoy the miles late at night cruising the hills.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mb4875 on 2001-10-13 20:12 ]</font>

·
Registered
835 Posts
You late comers may not have had half the problems that the lower numbered cars had. Ford even changed computer codes in the later Bullitts to make them run better, somewhere around No. 2500. They never bothered to tell us pre-change owners. Read back through the earlier posts and you'll see them filled with loose tranny cross braces, loose trim, loose lug nuts, wrong C-pillars, etc.

Most of us early owners ordered our cars from the PR that crowed about having AT LEAST 275 HP and 315 ft lbs. of torque. When Ford started delivery, it leaked out that the cars weren't even rated close to this. The dealers were supposed to advise us of the derating and offer us options if we choose not to continue waiting. My dealer never said a word to me, even when I was taking delivery.

Do I like my car? You betcha!!!!!! :-B

Could I have done with some better build quality, engine output as proomised, a better dealer experience, etc. You betcha again.

After 4 months of driving mine stock, I have identified several items that I would like to improve. I'm starting with the shifter because I'm tired of not having stops for better shifter alignment.

Enjoy your cars, but remember that everybodies expereince has been different, from great to downright awful.

·
Registered
225 Posts
1673 was built on 04/01 and I took delivery on 05/25/01. It has been my daily diver all summer and now has a bit over 9k miles on her. I have named 1673 PROZAC, because driving it is like be on the drug. Get up tight and take a drive, it will chill you right out, and put that big Smile back on your face. Love my Bullitt, you damn right I do, just am not looking forward to storing it for the winter,but the weather on the east croast can be nasty.:lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I love #5026, wouldn't change a thing. Other than a few minor factory mishaps my car is awesome. I have had 9 Mustangs and Cobras but this car is the first one that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. This one ain't goin' nowhere, it's mine for life.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,031 Posts
twoponys: On the sticker on the side of the driver's door there is a date of-- example 4/01. That isn't the actual assembly line date of your Bullitt. That is a generic date of the month of production of your car. My sticker also says 4/01 but my build sheet shows the birth date of 4/18.
--------------------
History Lesson: The Bullitt was originally scheduled to start production on March 5th. Then it was pushed back to March 13th. Then pushed back again to April 9th. So we early Bullittheads had a 5 week delay in our Bullitt production dates! What a roller coaster ride we all had! That was back in the BON days before we started Bullittclub.

BTW If I have any of the actual dates wrong, anyone jump in here and correct me please. :smile:

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Boy, I do remember the days of waiting, and waiting, and waiting some more before 1007 arrived..... I did get a e-mail about the horsepower loss from my salesman and wanting to know if I still wanted my car, that I wanted so bad. That was late March (ordered 5 Feb) after almost a month of not knowing what was going on.... Thoughts and rumors were all over such as, why was Ford holding on start of Job 1?
1007 was well worth the wait!!!!!! It's pretty cool to have one of the first in the area.
Unhappy? Nope!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts