Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No flames intended here. I have narrowed my purchase options down to a cobra coupe and a bullitt. The bullitt wins the beauty award hands down. It is sweet (they should lower it another 1/4). Since the price difference will be anywhere from 500- 1500 that is not the deciding factor. I will purchase the bullitt (love it) but the extra horses on the snake would be nice. I just am not sure they have worked out their quality problems yet. Why did you folks not buy a cobra?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Why not a Cobra?
Because its not a Bullitt.

1: I bet most of us bought the Bullitt under the 'Summer Special'. The Cobra didn't fall under the plan.

2: My insurance was higher with a Cobra.

3: I'll run good on Regular gas.

4: I like the Bullitt gauges and seats better.

5: Limited run, 1 year only

6: The Bullitt is a Bullitt. I wanted a 70's muscle car and this is the only way I could get it.

But I'd like the IRS and I like the Cobra front end.

-Edit-
I wouldn't have traded in a 6 month old Subaru for any other car. Not even a Cobra.
Undercover Black #362

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JayP on 2001-07-23 10:59 ]</font>

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
frankly i just plain liked the bullitt period...interior,braking,handling,looks..callme weird but i dont like the cobra's irs at all..the extra ponies might be nice but certainly to me not worth the extra 3000+ betwen the cobra and the bullitt. i do like the 2001 cobra hood though.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I never questioned it. If not for the Bullitt, I'd have waited about another year before buying a car, and probably looked at a GT or (doh!) WRX. However, the Bullitt grabbed me on an emotional level, and the added power of the Cobra doesn't necessarily turn me on. (Not that I'd turn it down, either.) I would almost definitely have not bought a Cobra no matter what.

Joe

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you can get a Cobra for $500-$1500 more than a Bullitt (and you like the Cobra) - Go for it. My cost difference was more like $4,000 - $5,000. I am confident that I can make some mods to my Bullitt (about $2,000 worth) and give a Cobra a run for it's money on the 1/4. Plus I think the Billitt looks jumpy fumpy bad arse! One year only for the entire model run is also pretty cool. There will be more Cobras, but only ONE Bullitt. I have yet to see another one on the road and I think they stopped making them already.
It's kind of cool being the only dude in town with a certain car.
Either way, it is a Mustang so you can't lose - Ride cool, dude!

The CatSmasher

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm with CatSmasher, I believe the difference in price was heck of allot more than $1500. Plus the added insurance and maintenance, the Bullitt is the choice. Also from what these guys are saying the Bullitt can do compared to the glossy spec's on the Cobra, the Bullitt is already damn close!! A better driver can make the difference.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Bullitt was an emotional choice. Was going to buy a Cobra until Bullitt was announced. I can always get a new Cobra later, but could only get a new Bullitt now. Personally, I think Team Mustang upstaged SVT with a car that is definitely more appealing emotionally than a cobra ever will be. Just MHO.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I paid $23,622 for my Bullitt. That was X Plan and a $1500 rebate, neither of which was available on a Cobra. The Cobra I looked at was like $29,200 or something like that. That is like a 6000 dollar difference once you figure in sales tax. It was an easy decision.

You may find a dealer to do X on a Cobra, but you will not find a rebate around here. Even paying sticker for a Bullitt -$2000 rebate will put it about $4000 cheaper than the Cobra.

BTW, another two weeks or so and my car would have been $23,122. The rebate increased, but then again the car might have sold.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-07-23 23:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
828 Posts
I love all mustangs but to get a one time edition that's this special and for the price there was no question for me. I will get a Cobra someday right after the Mach 1, Boss and Terminator.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The Bullitt's got MOJO!

Rarecat

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree,I picked the Bullitt over a Cobra and a 2000 Base Saleen.Price had little to do with it,it was the total package of the Bullitt.WixBullitt

·
Registered
155 Posts
We bought Bullitt rather than Cobra because:

1). My wife could see out the back better with no spoiler.

2). Look, sound, & feel of the Bullitt are great. The Cobra is very good also and is faster, but we felt the Bullitt was more FUN to drive.

3). Bullitt cost was about $2500 less. We bought on A-plan with $1500 rebate.

All I can say to people who ask why I bought the Bullitt is: You just have to drive one, then you will know. (You just can't drive mine.)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I had a Cobra. I always felt like it was the tuxedo version, or dresser of the performance mustangs. Somehow it just seemed like the priveledged version. Almost too cool, can you get my drift? The Bullitt was basic, rough, still a GT, and like 'sleeper' bad. I loved my '90LX (RIP). If you didn't know what you were up against, it'd get 'ya. I saw the Bullitt the same way. Finally, it just bridged the gap between retro and neuvo perfectly. A little dated, cool. But definately brand new.

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
I've always been the guy with something different, from the 70 Ranchero GT in H.S. to the yellow 98GT i traded in on my Bullitt. I went by a dealer in Columbus that had a Cobra R to show my dad and they had a SWEET black Cobra sitting on the showroom floor for right around $29,000. It was sharp, but I knew I'd see more of them than I would the Bullitt. So far I'm still the only one in town.
Cam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts