Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully there will be a 17x4 classic Weld Draglite wheel,the one with the holes,produced soon. There is a real need for them since a lot of street/strip Mustangs,old and new have brake upgrades.
I was fitting my 85 LX,with the Weld/MT DR setup,I used on the Bullitt.
Would be great to have the matching wheel,in 17x4.
Really don't want to go back to the smaller brakes,for temporary use.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Cause no one wants them as all 4 corners need at a minimum of a 245 :D

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plenty of people are wanting them. It would be fairly easy to do a 17" Draglite type wheel. I believe that Billet Specialties has the 4 or 5 inch wide,17 inch dia. rims. All that is needed, is a 1/2 inch thick T-6061 aluminum flat center,with the required bolt center holes,plus the holes to get the Weld Draglite look. Weld in the center plate...there you go.
Will give them a call again!

·
Registered
181 Posts
There are plenty of people running 15" skinnies on the front of cobras, they fit just fine with the right offset, just like you can get 15" wheels on the back. Other than aesthetics, what is the need?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
As far as I know, you have to put spacers on to make 15's clear the big brakes, and maybe some modification to the caliper. To me, they stick out too far and look a little funny. There is also a question of tech letting a car with spacers run at the track. Seems pretty obvious that a 17 would make sense. I'm thinking about buying some of the Greg Weld 17 x 4.5 runners. I'd rather deal with the mismatched wheels than spacing a 15 to make it work.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately,Greg Weld has closed shop!
I don't care for thick spacers,just to make a 15 fit. Wheel sticks out too far. Might be OK for the young crowd. But I want it to look correct.
I just mounted my Weld/MT tire setup,on the rear on my 85 LX. Has that classic 5.0 look,I used to run! I still have my stock front lower control arms,spindles,and 85 GT brakes,all in excellent condition.
I could swap thess back on and go with the 15x4 Welds.
After 24 years now,who would have thought an '85 Foxbody,with the fat and skinny Welds,is now somewhat "Retro"!

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
The shop closed, but there are still some in the supply chain. The price is pretty good. In fact, the oddball tires are going to cost as much as each wheel.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No kidding on the tires! Hoosier,the only one making Pro Street Radial,in 17x26x5 at around $320 for the pair!
We spend way,way too much on this hot rod stuff!
Women have it made....20% off this... 50% off that!!!!!!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm. I knew they made a bias-ply,for race use,but didn't know about the radial.
Thanks for that info!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts