Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

window tinting

529 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bullitt1853 
#1 ·
Had my windows tinted and the smalls on the side and back window look like crap. What is that suface material they use on the window (looks like black painted dots)?
Is there a way to remove that stuff w/ out scratching up the glass?
Thanks

#2 ·
There is a product called Dotrix that some installers use to "fill in" the gaps between the dots. It has to be put on prior to installing the tint, but it does allow the tint adhesive to stick completely and not give that white splotchy look. As for how to fix that look after it has been installed I don't know.

#3 ·
The November issue of MM&FF has an article about tinting and they address that same issue(the black dots). According to the article the dots should be sanded with 1500 grit sandpaper prior to installation. Hope that helps.
Did you tell the installer that you weren't happy with the results of the tint job? Hold them accountable, I would.

#4 ·
My installer trimmed the tint off and painted the inside of the window over the dots with a black paint, it looks really good. You don't even notice it from inside.
It took a lot of time to cover the inside and he put several thin coats.

#6 ·
Hi All

I read from another post that someone had their tinter use a vinyl(sp?) strip to cover the dots. As I am getting ready to get mine tinted any info on if this vinyl method or what I should suggest to my tinter would be very appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Semper Fi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.