Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a real problem cleaning my windshield. Here's the background info. Before I bought my Bullitt, it was on the dealer lot for several months. They painted "0% FINANCE" on the windshield in some sort of yellow or white waxy paint. You know, that advertising crap paint.

Well, sitting there for months, the wax was in the sun and I'm afraid it bonded some of the wax to the windshield from the heat and the ultraviolet rays. When I wash the car and wipe the windshield, I can see the "0% FINANCE" in a water mark.

I've tried to clean this off with the following: Windex, Glass and Shine, soap, GOJO hand cleaner, Wipe and Shine, Isopropyl Alcohol, Brakleen, WD-40, BarsKeep Glass and counter cleaner, packeted handi-wipes, and God knows how many other things. Nothing touches it. It's still there when I mist the windshield with fine spray of water.

It does not show when it's dry, but only when damp, wet or misted.

I do not want to replace the windshield. More problems would likely come from that than just living with it.

Has anyone out there got an idea how to neutralize the wax that is bonded to the windshield? You can not see a film, it just dries differently.

Or maybe one of you have the same problem and know how to cut this stuff to make it dry nomrally.

Thoughts and ideas welcome. This is a big challenge.

Thnaks in advance for your ideas.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I use Griot's garage Glass Polish, I have also used 00 fine steel wool.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Clay?

Have you tried to clay the windshield? Clay works wonders, I'd give it a try!

from Meguiar's®-
our clay bars can be used with a lubricating Meguiar's® mist and wipe detailer like Quik Detailer. These amazing bars safely remove bonded contaminants from your paint and leave the surface as smooth as glass.

·
Registered
537 Posts
cobrafast1 said:
I have a real problem cleaning my windshield. Here's the background info. Before I bought my Bullitt, it was on the dealer lot for several months. They painted "0% FINANCE" on the windshield in some sort of yellow or white waxy paint. You know, that advertising crap paint.

Well, sitting there for months, the wax was in the sun and I'm afraid it bonded some of the wax to the windshield from the heat and the ultraviolet rays. When I wash the car and wipe the windshield, I can see the "0% FINANCE" in a water mark.

I've tried to clean this off with the following: Windex, Glass and Shine, soap, GOJO hand cleaner, Wipe and Shine, Isopropyl Alcohol, Brakleen, WD-40, BarsKeep Glass and counter cleaner, packeted handi-wipes, and God knows how many other things. Nothing touches it. It's still there when I mist the windshield with fine spray of water.

It does not show when it's dry, but only when damp, wet or misted.

I do not want to replace the windshield. More problems would likely come from that than just living with it.

Has anyone out there got an idea how to neutralize the wax that is bonded to the windshield? You can not see a film, it just dries differently.

Or maybe one of you have the same problem and know how to cut this stuff to make it dry nomrally.

Thoughts and ideas welcome. This is a big challenge.

Thnaks in advance for your ideas.
Don,
How about this.
Go to the Dealer where you bought the car and ascertain exactly what material they used on the windshield. Chastice them to no end for their stupidity in causing the damage to the windshield. If they can give you the name of the product or solution used to put the adverstisement on the windshield you could possibly make contact with the product manufacturer and see what they have to say about the problem.

I have always been a person that has to have a flawless windshield and backglass and I carry window cleaner with me and I'm always cleaning my glass. If I had the problem that you are having with the windshield I would be insisting that the dealership fix the problem and if they wouldn't I would do doubt get a new windshield. You might want to check with your insurance company as to if you might have Auto Glass damage in your policy that allows for defective glass to be repaired sometimes at no deductable.

Good luck with resolving this problem. If you email me I could get some relevant & pertinent information back to you on my experience with getting a windshield repaired on a corvette at no cost to me.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Did you try a razor blade to scrape it clean. Perhaps acrysol would work as well did wonders for the glue from dealer sticker.

·
Banned
11,692 Posts
cobrafast1 i have not had that problem,but i have had film on my windshield that nothing but turtle wax rubbing compound would get it off using plenty of water.

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
HG 6416 said:
Have you tried to clay the windshield? Clay works wonders, I'd give it a try!

from Meguiar's®-
our clay bars can be used with a lubricating Meguiar's® mist and wipe detailer like Quik Detailer. These amazing bars safely remove bonded contaminants from your paint and leave the surface as smooth as glass.
+1. Try this first, will not harm the windshield

·
Registered
405 Posts
Try a degreaser like Purple Power straight. I use it on windshields all the time when a real tough road film gets on it. Just don't get it on the car, it will take any wax off right away and may damage the paint if left on. pour sum on a rag.

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Look on the bright side, it does give you a reason to look forward to getting your windshild cracked....... Course if you are hoping for it it will probably never happen. LOL screwed either way dang!

Sounds like it has actually been absorbed into the glass. Unless you can find something that will draw it out I think it might be there for life.

I would check with a glass company, they might have an answer.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
i say you go back to the dealership, ans stalk the bastard who sold you the car, then when he crosses the lot, gun it so he flips up over the bumper into the windshield... BAM!!! you got a reason for getting a new windshield AND some revenge, all in one!!

actually, jokes aside, +2 on the clay bar, it worked getting some sticker residue from a five year sticker on mine, plus like said before it does not hurt car or glass like some other suggestions might if not used correctly, so always a good first decision.

good luck my friend!

shaun

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have you ever heard of Glass Science Glass Scrub? I purchased this from properautocare.com last year. I forgot where I read it, but aparently this product was developed by the same person who developed RainX. I needed something to help me remove years of water spots from our house windows. It took a couple of applications but the windows are now clear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, If all else fails, try vinegar or tri-sodium phosfate (TSP). I once worked for a janitorial service and these are what we would use in extreme cases.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If you have access to a porter cable DA buffer and a yellow or orange foam pad, the glass scrub will polish that out. I polish my windows annually with the buffer and some Menzerna polish. I would also check out what http://www.properautocare.com/glcapr.html has in the glass care section.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I actually work for a glass company, and we use glass cleaner and a razor blade on stubborn stains. However, I recommend trying the clay bar first, and if that doesn't work, use a vinegar/water solution, let it soak, wipe it off, spray it again then run the razor over the area in ONE direction so as not to scratch the glass. Make sure it is nice and wet when you're doing this. If you feel resistance you probably need a sharper razor. The important thing is to let that vinegar soak on there first though. If that doesn't get it, a simple glass polish will probably take care of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts