Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm driving along in the fast lane with a Mazda about 3 car lengths in front of me, when I hear what sounded like something hit the windshield. Within seconds, the glass started to crack at the edge of the drivers side A pillar. By the time I got to my destination,(5 minutes later), the crack had grown toward the middle by 4 inches! Then, by the time I got home,(one hour later), the crack was now 7-8 inches. I can't even bring myself to look at it yet today. Of course this would happen on a long weekend when nothing is open. :mad: :frown:

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Not a long weekend in this part of the country..

Sorry to hear bout the windshield though.. Rock hit it or did it just decide to give up the ghost?

BTW, the last windshield I had taken out was by a 2 x 4 on I-95..

On the way to work from the dealer.... :mad: :cry: :mad:

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
lauraleez said:
So, I'm driving along in the fast lane with a Mazda about 3 car lengths in front of me, when I hear what sounded like something hit the windshield. Within seconds, the glass started to crack at the edge of the drivers side A pillar. By the time I got to my destination,(5 minutes later), the crack had grown toward the middle by 4 inches! Then, by the time I got home,(one hour later), the crack was now 7-8 inches. I can't even bring myself to look at it yet today. Of course this would happen on a long weekend when nothing is open. :mad: :frown:
My Pontiac Grand Prix took several serious windshield hits over the years without cracking, or even chipping badly for that matter. I don't have the same confidence in my Mustang windshield.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did hear a pop when it started, so it must have been a stone. Being an edge crack, it happened very fast and I'm concerned it may need to be replaced due to the integrity of the glass. I'm even more concerned as to the price of an OEM Mustang windshield. I will not let them put in anything but OEM. My insurance deductible is $1000. Doing some online research I found this:

DEFECTS: Because of the way windshields are manufactured and mounted in vehicles, the amount of stress around the outer 2" perimeter is significantly greater than inside that area and will fracture 2.5 times easier than the rest of the windshield. Most replacements are from an Edge Crack, which occurs because the first two inches around the outer perimeter of windshields have three defects.

This is a good read:
http://www.ultrabond.com/whywindshields.pdf

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first thing I'm going to do on Tuesday is go to my dealership to see if it is a defect. You never know if it could be covered under warranty. Then, I'll see if it can be repaired...one step at a time. I just hope they give me something to drive in the meantime. I will also get a hold of my broker as soon as I can. It's just so maddening. The car only has 2200 kilometers on it.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
lauraleez said:
The first thing I'm going to do on Tuesday is go to my dealership to see if it is a defect. You never know if it could be covered under warranty. Then, I'll see if it can be repaired...one step at a time. I just hope they give me something to drive in the meantime. I will also get a hold of my broker as soon as I can. It's just so maddening. The car only has 2200 kilometers on it.
Tell them it was a defect. You can probably make the case if there is no sign of any rock damage that could have caused it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RCSignals said:
Tell them it was a defect. You can probably make the case if there is no sign of any rock damage that could have caused it.
That will be my first step. I was told that the way they can tell if it was a rock chip that caused the crack, is by taking a pen and running it along the crack line. If the pen gets caught up, it is damage from a stone chip. On the other hand, even if it was from a stone, it could've hit an already weak part of the windshield, making it under warranty from defect. In my warranty information book, it states:

Warranty Coverage for Specified Components:

Brake lining, clutch disc, wiper blades, windshields, wheel balance and alignment are covered against defects in factory-supplied materials or workmanship for 12 months or 20,000 km from the original warranty start date.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Here in FL there is NO deductible for windshields, and I can take it to a dealer if I want. State law.. Have you checked your policy yet?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Madpoodle said:
Here in FL there is NO deductible for windshields, and I can take it to a dealer if I want. State law.. Have you checked your policy yet?
I'm in Canada. And yes, I have checked my policy, but there is nothing specific. I am covered for "All Perils".

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
lauraleez said:
Take a ball point pen and run the ball down the crack. It will let you feel if there is a chip. If there is a chip the glass will be yours to buy. NEVER MIND YOU ALREADY HAVE BEEN TOLD THIS!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I wouldn't count on the dealer covering this under a defect. I just got a warranty defect mirror glass from an Edge get thrown back from Ford because they claimed it wasn't a defect. That sucks about your deductible though, in Massachusetts there's no deductible for glass. But definitely demand OEM glass. Count the Mustangs on the glass, and demand you get the same. The 01s have two and a Ford logo. Don't just assume the dealer would replace it with the same either. Make sure you ask.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oldman_08 said:
Umm, make sure your dealer isn't reading this thread!!! :)

LOL...I have a good relationship with my dealer, and I know they will try everything they can, but I won't count on it. I just want it fixed or replaced and I will not settle for anything but OEM.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.