Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well here is the deal....
I have a new 302 engine block and crankshaft sitting in my shop.
I plan on keeping the Bullitt,but would like to add 100 HP more than what the 4.6 has,plus loose some front end weight.
There have been many 4.6,stroked to 302, engine setups done still retaining the stock fuel system and computer retune.
The Bullitt computer module cannot tell the difference between a stroked 4.6,302 or a Windsor 302...Correct?
My plan is to swap in a 375-400 HP 302 Windsor,which I will build,child's play, and use the Bullitt based EFI setup.
To do this will require a modified 302 intake to mount the top plenum section of the Bullitt intake,the section with the twin throttle body. Mount all the needed sensors,on the stock Bullitt intake to the new 302 Bullitt intake. Keep the Bullitt throttle body and MAF unit in same location,may have to use a larger MAF,as you would with a stroked 4.6.
Use a custom crank trigger setup to connect the stock 4.6 timing sensor to the computer.Also retain the required coil on plug setup,using short plug wire extensions to the 302 plugs. The 4.6 and 302 Windsor have the same firing order.
Use the stock Bullitt fuel system,with larger injectors, to fuel the 302 Windsor thru the stock Bullitt computer,plus whatever fuel pump mod is needed to fuel a stroked N/A 4.6
Swap in the new 302 Windsor,using shorty headers,1995 302 GT K-member if needed,plus a new Tremec TKO-500 trans.
Yes the Bullitt computer would need new fuel and timing programs,but it should be a simple swap for 375 N/A HP,plus look like a Bullitt type engine setup with the stock Bullitt upper intake plenum and airbox.
What do you think? Nothing here I can't do in my shop. Plus a better package than a heavier stroked 4.6 and cheaper in the long run. Need the beefier trans whether 302 Mod engine or Windsor. Save around 100 lbs. on the front end!
Reason for all this....I don't see myself being able to afford a future $40,000 dollar new Musclecar, to get the planned kind of performance. The Bullitt is still an excellent Mustang,just a bit horsepower challenged against the latest versions to come out.
Any comments or additions to what I may have missed?

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bullitt_5135 said:
Meh, just drop in an LS2 motor and be done with it.

;)
I think this would be the better way to go,would not have to cut any of the stock wiring harness. Just plug in the factory connections,using the same sensors. Even keep the same cooling setup.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
hmm..I like the idea. You could make the same power for less money with a blower/forged motor set up...but I like the idea of a 331 Bullitt..or 347. Another option could be to go with a 351 set up. Since the 351 and 302 generally are pretty similar (I think both would mount on that 1995 5.0 k-member, you could go S-351 style and put a blown 351 under the hood. Those punch out to like 427/428.. Unless your looking to use the 5.0 block and crank you have.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Do it, build something nasty :smile:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I too was thinking the S351 style, brakes, computer, fuel, steering already done....been googling the Saleen since I saw this post...could be on to something.....the thought has crossed my mind too if or when the 4V goes south..

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I like the idea. The thought has crossed my mind more than once. I was just not so sure what to do about the ignition system.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
what about passing smog? i think its an awesome idea, but if you are putting in that much work, i would probably build something other than a 302. i would go with a stroked 351. a good friend of mine has a 408 roush racing built windsor that is out of this world. i dont remember the numbers on it, but in a 65 mustang, it killed a viper from 0-80.
actually on second thought, just go all out and drop in an ls7 zo6 motor!

·
Registered
330 Posts
351 stroked to 393, you may need the wider space between the heads to fit the bullitt intake with custom adapter plates.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
hmm
interesting but that will be a very large undertaking to make it all work like that
I think you'll get into some problems

Another solution would be to single out the Bullitt harness for more of a power harness... no engine stuff
and then use a FMS HotRod harness setup for the 5.0

I'd also agree with the guy above. If you're going to do this much work, might as well do a 351 or 393 and add a LOT more power.

·
Registered
241 Posts
01GTB said:
I like the idea. The thought has crossed my mind more than once. I was just not so sure what to do about the ignition system.
This is a damper I modded for a 351w I set up for EDIS

I started with a damper from a 351 police car, modded a crank trigger wheel from a an explorer 5.0 and pressed it in place of the original 4 point trigger wheel. I used the timing cover from the explorer too.

Some of the last years of carbed 351's had crank trigger ignition.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gboger said:
This is a damper I modded for a 351w I set up for EDIS

I started with a damper from a 351 police car, modded a crank trigger wheel from a an explorer 5.0 and pressed it in place of the original 4 point trigger wheel. I used the timing cover from the explorer too.

Some of the last years of carbed 351's had crank trigger ignition.
Good work!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts