Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be storing my car outside this winter.
(don't have a garage)

any suggestions on how to properly store.
- type of cover
- preparing car..etc

thanks in advance..DHG 2766

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I would use a soft-inside car cover and secure it somehow, then I would cover the entire thing with a tarp and secure that as well, maybe with ropes under the car. Make sure the ropes are not touching the paint though...don't want the ropes rubbing against it. Perhaps tying soft cloth around the ropes would help if there is no other way. Also make sure your tank is FULL...you don't want condensation forming on the non-full parts of the tank.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you're not planning on driving the car during the winter, I'd drain the oil, disconnect & remove the battery & consider putting the car on jacks or blocks & storing the tires inside. Also, make sure you have at least 3/4 tank of gas.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
There's also those drive in, bag type, storage systems. It's like putting the car in a Ziplok bag. Sorry, I don't have a link or a name, but I have read about how great they are at keeping a car completely out of the elements. Anybody else seen these?

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
OUCH!!! Canadian Winter?...baby outside?...
man, DHG 2766...if i were you i'd at least try to find a garage to rent or a mini storage/ storage warehouse sort of deal. some of them are JUST large enough to park a car in. use a car cover even if you do rent/lease a spot!! check the classifieds in the newspaper too!
i think it would be worth the extra $100/ a month ( or so)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't have a garage either, and this is my only car now so I have to drive it. Of course here in Seattle the winter weather is not that much different than the summer weather, it just rains a bit more. :wink: I was thinking of just moving down to Bob's place in Nevada for the winter. :wink:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
ROFL Ivan! but Bob's already got one kid.....not sure he could deal with you too!!! he he he

·
Registered
451 Posts
Not too much to say about a car cover, BUT:

I bought mine from the dealer where my father is New Car Sales Manager. When I went to pick it up, I found that he was kind enough to order FORD cover for me, and have it in the box in the trunk. Although my Bullitt is in the garage when I don't drive it, it's dusty in there, so if it is recently washed it gets covered. After the amount of dust that has settled the past few days, I may start covering it even when it needs a wash.

Anmyway, I've VERY impressed with the cover. It's fitted to our cars, breathable, has a thermal insulation layer (supposedly reduces internal temps in the sun by a HUGE amount), and has a soft inner layer to protect the paint. 3 layers in all, just can't remember all the purposes. It also has heat sheilded areas by the tailpipes so hot exhaust won't melt or otherwise destroy it. It is VERY quick and easy to remove and install. I have no idea how much it costs. However, I'd feel pretty good about covering my car with this if I didn't have a garage. Just my .02...

Joe

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Shortly after I took delivery of DHG 365, I ordered a Noah outdoor cover. Specified Mustang GT without wing. Also got the lock, cable and storage bag. Total cost was about $190. Consider it well worth the price. Also, you should NOT use your cover when the car is dirty. The dirt can become embedded in the liner and cause very fine scratches.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks for the tip about the dirt, steve. I actually hadn't done it yet! However, I may have today, so thanks!
Does this mean, if I've driven it one time since I washed it, it's too dirty to cover? Or, just when it gets to the point where it's ready to be washed?

Joe

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I cover my car every night. Before I do however, I use a California Duster on it. So far, so good. :smile:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts