Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bullitt has 25,000 miles on it and its in showroom condition. It doesn't want to start sometimes. I'll have to try it two or three times or give it gas to start it? I'm not sure what this could be, the car has never been abused.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Bullitt's are known for that. Cause is unknown.
Way to start it after it does it is to hold the pedal all the way to the floor and try again. It will start that way.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
P-51 Bullitt said:
Bullitt's are known for that. Cause is unknown.
Way to start it after it does it is to hold the pedal all the way to the floor and try again. It will start that way.
The odd part about that is Flooring a Fuel Injected car actually decreases the amount of fuel being put into the car. so its almost like have a choke. mine does it too once in a while, usually only when i fuel up or its been sitting for a couple days.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If it doesn't want to start after being driven the problem is vapor lock in the fuel rails. I'm pretty sure its common on mustangs. If its giving you a problem when cold or after sitting it could be a leaking injector or bad fuel pressure regulator. What happens is either the injector(s) or regulator bleed off pressure and when you try to start it the fuel pump has to "pressure" up the fuel system again. So try priming the fuel system a few times before you start. Just turn the key in the "on position a few times before you crank it over.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is great, I have the exact problem myself. Does not happen all the time but it does do it after I have been driving. Actually I thought maybe the starter was getting bad. Should I still have the starter looked at? This site club is awesome.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
01BullittGT said:
This is great, I have the exact problem myself. Does not happen all the time but it does do it after I have been driving. Actually I thought maybe the starter was getting bad. Should I still have the starter looked at? This site club is awesome.
Is it cranking for a long time? Or is it not cranking at all?? If its not cranking at all then you may have a starter\connection problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mines not a started problem its something with the fuel I think. It turns over and sounds completely normal it just doesn't start the first turn of the key I have to turn the key, hold it for a few seconds, then try it again and give it some gas. It hasn't done it for a while though, I started running premium gas and royal purple in it, never run better

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I have never had a starting problem, I always turn the key on for a few seconds before starting.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
rblack4405 said:
I have never had a starting problem, I always turn the key on for a few seconds before starting.
Most people dont have that patience. they dont let the injectors primes and everything first

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yeah mine has a hard start too. But it only happens when I turn the car off for a short time and try to start it right back up. It almost acts like the engine is flooded.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
Most people dont have that patience. they dont let the injectors primes and everything first

turn the key, fasten your seat belt and then start. Not much patience involved.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
That is the Vapor lock problem that our cars have
Thats exactly it. Sometimes it doesn't want to start and normally takes 3 tries to get it cranked. I believe this is because of the way the fuel rails are designed? If im not mistaken, the vapors from the fuel injectors get backed up or cause areas of unequal fuel pressure or something and it takes a couple of cranks to get it freed up or "unlocked".

Try using the technique many of us use for a clean one crank start: turn the key like you're going to start it without actually starting it (you should hear the fuel pump come on). Then count to five-apple (slowly) and start. It should get it the first time. This is mostly flawless, as it allows the rails to get fully pressurized and the optimal starting fuel to enter into the engine. This is the basis behind the mysterious 'vapor lock'. Try it you'll see :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts