Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard about the Bullitt Nationals being associated with the "Woodward Dream Cruise" but didn't realize what was being referenced until reading the threads in this 'events' section of the site.
Woodward Ave is the Ford Highland Park Plant location where the Model T was mass produced from 1910 to 1927 producing over 15 million Model T's using the 'assembly line' method pioneered at Highland Park by Ford. - Thus, Woodward Ave and the Highland Park Plant are the most important industrial site in the history of mankind!
I haven't seen any of the attendees do a pictorial of the Highland plant so here's a virtual google street version.
Upon scanning up and down Woodward, I saw the secondary admin building and the 4 story building behind it, but where I expected to see the power station, main admin building and building #1, I saw a CVS Pharmacy and McDonald's followed by a strip mall. The Highland Park plant was basically a big "L" shape but time has eaten a big piece (between the 2 arrows) out of it:

Here's a current aerial view:

Ok, starting out heading southeast on Woodward Ave, you see the secondary admin. building and the 4 story production plant building behind it:

Then you see the CVS pharmacy roughly where the power plant used to be:

Then you pass the McDonalds and strip mall (Model T Plaza) where the primary admin bldg and plant #1 were:

Then turn left onto Manchester Parkway:

And here's the same shot approx. 90 years ago:

Then, further down Manchester Parkway past a Walgreen's and boarded up bar, the rest of what remains of the plant comes into view:

This portion isn't abandoned like the secondary admin bldg and 4 story production bldg were and is in use as an "industrial center":

Further along, it's good to see a lack of graffiti and windows intact:

Then looking back over your shoulder to the southwest:

Here's a period photo some 100 years ago of same direction:

Then further along, past the serpentine razor wire, I'm not sure if this was Ford property in the day:

Corner of Manchester & Oakland:

There wasn't anything on Oakland facing the Ford property but this scaffolding stored in the field:

And finally, here's "Ford Field" at the corner of Oakland & Ferris St.:

I'd like to google-street River Rouge Plant next, but unfortunately I don't think that property is open to traffic or google-mobile cams.:doubt:

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Great photies! Your level of information is interesting and informative....

I enjoyed your post and photo comparisons and explanations...great presentation.

Thank you

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
37,644 Posts
HOLY COW! GREAT PICS!

·
Premium Member
5,779 Posts
:D Extremely interesting pictorial history of Ford Motor Co! Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
8,775 Posts
Good post, Palerider. If is OK with you, I will add a few historical comments about Highland Park Assembly. Part of it is still owned by Ford and about 13 years ago, I was able to go inside. I was thinking about adding this venue to the Nationals schedule, but there is not much to see around there these days.

·
Premium Member
12,773 Posts
Great post, and cool pics/info.

Lots of history associated with Woodward, and it was just awesome being able to see where automotive history was born

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the kind comments,

Good post, Palerider. If is OK with you, I will add a few historical comments about Highland Park Assembly. Part of it is still owned by Ford and about 13 years ago, I was able to go inside. I was thinking about adding this venue to the Nationals schedule, but there is not much to see around there these days.
Yes, please add anything you wish. I really enjoy the history. :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts