Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that the Bullitt has a unique hoodliner that seals the CAI to keep engine heat out, but was wondering if this would be a problem for those of us wanting to swap out the stock hood with a heat-extractor hood. Would it simply be a matter of swapping the hoodliner or would there also be clearance/enclosure issues? Is that the reason why Ford opted against the dual-vented hood?

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
From what I have been reading- Ford never considered using a vented hood. It would seem it was never an option or a possibility.
But that point aside...you also bring up a good question (and one that I wondered about too)- willing putting a vented hood on the 08 affect engine performance?
I have no idea. It does seem like a possibility- but we're going to need some real experts to weigh in on this question.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Based on what I saw, I think it will have to be a twin-vented hood made specifically for the 08 Bullitt...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, I was afraid of that. I wonder if there will be enough demand for an aftermarket entity to manufacture and sell such a Bullitt-specific hood at an affordable price.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Wolfsburg said:
Hmm, I was afraid of that. I wonder if there will be enough demand for an aftermarket entity to manufacture and sell such a Bullitt-specific hood at an affordable price.
Sounds like a job for Hoag-Man (MRT. :))

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
B-Man...is the hood a formed plastic piece?...if so why not find a custom shop that does plastic an just mod the hood...just a thought.....

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
dg517 said:
B-Man...is the hood a formed plastic piece?...if so why not find a custom shop that does plastic an just mod the hood...just a thought.....
Better ask someone who paid better attention. :-B I was still caressing the car and not listening to Paul Randle. :lol:

Greg (4003) Tony Alonso or Paul (kaylan1521) might know.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
The hood is aluminum. It would lose the seal so it would be like the Shelby GT.
Or Greg, he might know too. :)

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
B-Man said:
Better ask someone who paid better attention. :-B I was still caressing the car and not listening to Paul Randle. :lol:

Greg (4003) Tony Alonso or Paul (kaylan1521) might know.

Sounds like a love affair at 1st sight:eek:

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
The hood is aluminum. It would lose the seal so it would be like the Shelby GT.

What...you were under the hood too :lol:...btw...we were over at don davis ford on saturday an of course had to drive thru...they got 2 Shelby GT's an 1 GT C/S...i kinda like the GT C/S..dont have all those stripes on it...just my take...ok...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have a 2007 gt/cs for sale? ;)

I was thinking the same thing for the hood, though. Kind of sucks.

·
Administrator
6,215 Posts
The hood blanket was set up to work under the standard hood and implement the seal on the intake set-up. It was also shared that doing a new hood would have added cost into the equation because of the crash testing that would have to be done to certify it.

Any double vented hood that people will try to add aftermarket will need to be done with respect to the area that seals the cold air intake system.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
dg517 said:
What...you were under the hood too :lol:...btw...we were over at don davis ford on saturday an of course had to drive thru...they got 2 Shelby GT's an 1 GT C/S...i kinda like the GT C/S..dont have all those stripes on it...just my take...ok...
I think the GT/CS is a good buy. If you want a base GT to mod from that would be a good choice because you already get a real pretty enhanced interior and the engine is basically the same. The aftermarket already provides better tunes and the suspension can always be firmed and dropped using the over-the-counter Shelby GT parts.

Plus ... you can get it in a ragtop and you have your choice of tans opions, and it's cheaper than the $31K-$34K price.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Whammer said:
From what I have been reading- Ford never considered using a vented hood. It would seem it was never an option or a possibility.
But that point aside...you also bring up a good question (and one that I wondered about too)- willing putting a vented hood on the 08 affect engine performance?
I have no idea. It does seem like a possibility- but we're going to need some real experts to weigh in on this question.
I'm also wondering if the new dual-octane special tune Ford is putting on there would be ruined by any additional mods to the computer?

That might be something to consider, especially if someone was going the blower route ... (???)

·
Administrator
6,215 Posts
kaylan1521 said:
I wonder if you transfered the hoodliner to the aftermarket hood if it would still keep the seal.
That was the engineering problem. In addition to avoiding the cost of certifying a new hood and dealing with the crash testing costs, there would need to be a way to support the vents and still respect the seal for the cold air intake.

According to the Ford engineers, there is a temperature reduction that is substantial with their design.

If I had to pick between design asthetics and a better functioning cold air intake, plus be able to sell something in the aftermarket, I would be choosing to put my engineering dollars and time into the intake.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts