Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been stalking these cars for about a year now, and finally got my money together. Found one locally to me about an hour away with 7,000 Miles on it, made an offer and it was accepted. I essentially had the deal closed (my check for the car is coming in the mail from my bank today). and was planning on picking up the car tomorrow.

I was told by the salesperson that the oil cooler was being replaced, and it would not be ready until Monday or Tuesday of next week, slight delay with shipping. When I asked why the oil cooler was being replaced, I had to wait to get a response, and was then told word for word that "the motor was replaced due to a defect in the engine. The crank case sprocket was cracked so Ford replaced the whole engine"

I did ensure this was a brand new motor sent from ford and was swapped in not a re-build. Currently inquiring about any warranty's on the work or the engine itself.

But basically, reaching out to ask all you owners a second opinion. Would you drop this kind of money on a used bullitt with a brand new motor? Or would you stay away? All in i'm paying right around 45k.

Thanks in advance - Joe B.

·
Premium Member
14,122 Posts
Are you sure it was a new motor? All in all, just judging by what you posted, I'd probably walk. It's not like the '19 -20 Bullitt is an extremely rare car. Plenty of others out there. But that's just me...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
From what I am being told it is a brand new motor from ford.

It Does call into question the integrity of the trans and rest of the powertrain. Was the motor rebuilt due to driving it too hard?

there are a handful out there similarly equipped with similar miles (sans swapped motor I'm sure), was just looking forward to one that was only an hour away instead of 8-10 hours away.

edit: Am also asking for a full service writeup to find exactly what was done, what parts were swapped, why, and what parts went on. And of course, verification on all of it.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
If the car engine was replaced and run with the old oil cooler, I would be wary? Trash from the old engine could be in cooler #1 and have circulated in the engine. Not good. You need more details.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Honestly, put on your running shoes!!! I wouldn't trust the car and honestly at $45K..........it's not a steal. In addition, if you ever try to sell this car, having an engine replacement would scare other buyers. 7000 miles.........maybe a quarter mile at a time???There's a lot of used BULLITTS out there with clean health. Come Spring, you may find a brand new one, with rebates.
ARMY TC

·
Premium Member
14,122 Posts
(wish I knew how to quote on this site) Anyway, 4404, nailed it! Could be metal bits from a bad engine circulating throughout the car's oiling system. This is what happened with water cooled Porsches early on that suffered intermediate shaft bearing failure. Ever wondered why used Boxsters and some 911's are so cheap? Now you know.

So in agreement with others here. RUN! Run like the Devil himself were after you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that was sorta my gut feeling. The car has been used and abused.

i'm waiting to hear more but ready to walk. Really the only thing that could make me want to buy itis full coverage from the dealership if anything were to go wrong.

however I don't believe the new engine was run with the old oil cooler

its 45 and change out the door, so "sale price" was 42k. In new jersey here so options are a bit limited at the moment

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Me = walk, but it's your decision to make. There are going to be more new Bullitt's out there...just have patience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All,

Decided to walk on the car (or run as many have recommended) called them this AM to say this isn't the car for me. Will always have to worry about every noise I hear, and be paranoid about the longevity of the car, resale value, etc. I'm 27 and this will probably be the only time in my life I can afford a car like this before worrying about a mortgage, a wedding, and kids to pay for.

Will bide my time for the next few weeks and see what pops up. Better deals to be had over the winter on sports cars anyway, but was hoping to be able to drive the thing for awhile before putting away for the winter, but oh well, only time will tell where I end up. May end up on a road trip to Ohio or North Carolina where there are a few others to be had within the same pricerange and less mileage. Looking for one with electronics package and magnaride but NO recaros. This will be an "almost" daily driver.

I don't necessarily plan on keeping the car for more than 5-6 years either. So I want something I can enjoy but still get something back out of when its time to let it go.

·
Registered
2019 Mustang Bullitt
1 Posts
Hey all,

I've been stalking these cars for about a year now, and finally got my money together. Found one locally to me about an hour away with 7,000 Miles on it, made an offer and it was accepted. I essentially had the deal closed (my check for the car is coming in the mail from my bank today). and was planning on picking up the car tomorrow.

I was told by the salesperson that the oil cooler was being replaced, and it would not be ready until Monday or Tuesday of next week, slight delay with shipping. When I asked why the oil cooler was being replaced, I had to wait to get a response, and was then told word for word that "the motor was replaced due to a defect in the engine. The crank case sprocket was cracked so Ford replaced the whole engine"

I did ensure this was a brand new motor sent from ford and was swapped in not a re-build. Currently inquiring about any warranty's on the work or the engine itself.

But basically, reaching out to ask all you owners a second opinion. Would you drop this kind of money on a used bullitt with a brand new motor? Or would you stay away? All in i'm paying right around 45k.

Thanks in advance - Joe B.
Well, sounds like someone was racing the car. So I would be inquiring about the warranty coverage on the complete drive train. JMO but if it was beat on. The engine wasn't the only component get beat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts