Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all you smart people who own this incredible automobile. I've worked for Ford Mo. Co. for nearly 30 yrs. I just turned 50 and thought I'd have some fun. Well, The Bullitt was what I've been looking for. The exhaust Sounds incredible!! Took the air silencer out and put a K&N in. (doesen't everyone?)Talk about "bang for your buck" nothing out there can match this Bullitt for fun on the streets.Its just like all the muscle I've owned in the 60's and 70's,back again in the 21st century. Great!! Car. Now someone tell me how to properly break in this 4.6 modular engine? Have fun everyone, and hold your heads up. You got a good one.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Not being too mechanically inclined myself, what's involved in taking out the silencer and replacing with the K&N one, exactly where is the silencer located on the car anyway. Do you get any extra HP by doing this or does it just effect the exhaust note, Which I think is pretty good stock, sounds close to my Harley, I bet the F150 Harley pickup sounds the same because they were suppose to approximate the sound of a Harley on that special limited edition truck which btw I find really ugly, give me the F150 Lightning anyday :cool:, that's the truck they shoud have used as their prototype for a collaboration with Harley Davidson.

from Montvale, New Jersey

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krankiekat on 2001-09-01 13:13 ]</font>

·
Registered
715 Posts
You break it in the way you plan to drive it. I would give a couple of hundred miles before you run it up too high but after that give it some gas. Just make sure you vary the rpms. In other words, you don't want to get out on the highway and drive several hundred miles at the same rpm. You can't over rev it because it will shut itself down. It is also required that you have fun. That's the easy part.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Don't think there is really any fixed guidelines for break in on todays engines. I tried to take it easy for the first 1K and I have to enphasize 'tried'. Then I changed the oil. Try to avoid extensive driving at a fixed RPM is another common 'break in' tip.

If you read through enough of the messages on this board you'll see people are giong to the track, pulling on dynos, chirping into 2nd, trying to chirp into 3rd, and wondering about chirping into 4th. Running with Vipers, LS1s, other Stangs. So again I emphasize 'try' to take it easy for the fistt 1K, but if an opportunity presents itself don't worry too much if your foot slips and your suddenly doing 130 mph.

The air silencer is located at the ftont (toward the grill) left corner of the engine compartment. It looks like a black rugby ball almost and inside is your air filter.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
krankie, the "silencer" is the rubber boot that runs from the air filter cannister to the fenderwell
when you unbolt the cannister to remove the stock airfilter and install a K & N filter, just remove the rubber boot before you bolt the cannister back in place.
my car sounds MUCH better under full throttle acceleration and i swear i feel a HP difference in the saet of my pants but as several have pointed out, it's probably more in my mind rather than the seat of my pants cuz it sounds SOOOOOOOO much sweeter without the silencer

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Just removed the "screen" and the silencer.. I have to agree that it feels stronger at 3-5K, but I would also agree it's prolly just in my mind. Oh well, it sounds great!

BTW while I had the big black filter canister removed I noticed something with the word "Cobra" on it. Looks like a brake master/portioning valve?? Anyone know for sure?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts