Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like my Bullitt. Looks wise it is the best looking without question. I do wish it had one thing though....a Cobra engine. I like fast Mustangs and usually I would simply go for the fastest one, but the Bullitt has something the Cobra doesn't. Plus, at the time, I got it for about $5000 less than I could get a Cobra for.

I have recently read that certain dealerships in Michigan are selling Cobra Coupes for under $26K :eek: That is unbelievable. But several people on Corral have said it is true. That's like less than A Plan. With 0% interest, that would put the payments almost exactly where my Bullitt payments are.

I don't think I am going to act on this impulse, but who knows. I owe $17500 on my car. I wish I could afford both of them. I really have no interest in the independent rear, and that is one of the things that would turn me off.

Please don't flame me :smile:

P.S.

If my Bullitt went to the track tomorrow night and pulled off a JB Vobra-like time, this thought would probably be out the window :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-09-26 05:35 ]</font>

·
Registered
123 Posts
That pricing is hard to believe, because my dealer here in NC has turned maybe 5 Cobras (and his last 3 Bullitts) in just the last month. Not a hard car to sell.

Personally, I would like to have the IRS, but I'm not a drag racer. To me the better solution would be buy a Vortech supercharger ($3700) or find a salvage Cobra motor ($5k). Then you could have your cake and eat it too. You could spank stock Cobras with the Vortech.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I agree with 4601. Look for the engine and make the swap or blow it!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think you'd miss the Bullitt. Don't let it be "the one that got away." Even if it isn't the one that "pulls away."

The blower would be the trick, wouldn't it?

I like Cobras and had one also. I just LOVE the Bullitt. There's something less 'priveledged' about a Bullitt. It's more appealing to a wide variety of car enthusiasts. The Cobra is somehow just the 'top end' stang, and carries with it all of that "I'm better than a regular GT" baggage. A Bullitt just so much more enigmatic.

Sorry about your decision. Glad it's such a pleasant one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just remember, Cobras were available in Steve McQueen's day as well, and he left all those excess scoops and wings sitting on the lot. He wanted a fast (but not the fastest), understated car, and that's what we have today.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Go with your Gut. Although the Bullitt is a great car, I prefer it over the Cobra, you got to get what makes you happy. Of course the best thing to do would be to wait till the '04 Mustang comes out and enjoy what you have. By then you could get another car and if you don't like the new body you could still get the current body.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I hate to buck the trend..but I think the Bullitt,as a package,is really a lot 'cooler' than the cobra. I could buy any car ( in the Ford Line) that I want but I chose the Bullitt. The Bullitt is way cooler than any other car in the standard Ford lineup..AND lots of folks have a Cobra, but few have "bought the Bullitt"!!!

Bubba

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I said, I don't think I will act on this impulse. Within month of buying my 87 5.0, I thought about getting something else. I didn't and still have that car today.

With the 0% interest, I really should go look at a basic F250 for work, and not even consider getting rid of 2936 :smile:

·
Registered
835 Posts
In '68, a Cobra was a 2 seat roadster made by Carroll Shelby on AC supplied bodies and frames. No wings, one real hood scoop on the 427 version. A great car, but not very practical for a police Lt. to drive. Ford didn't start making Cobra badged Mustangs until the Mustnag II series in the '70s. Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet engines are not to be mistaken for the cars' being called Cobras.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The car I was referring to was the Shelby GT500, which I believe was available in '68. It seems I use the term 'Cobra' as loosely as everyone else.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
i had the choice between my bullitt #71 and a new cobra(just about 2500 price diference). i picked the bullitt over the cobra based on looks and the fact that not everyone was gonna get a bullitt. i don't really think the cobra has that much over mine.

however i would like to put a vortex on it just because i like the idea of it.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Well I could have got any car I wanted when I got the Bullitt
Cobra Saleen whatever
But I took the bullitt
Why
Looks harder than a Cobra
They will make more Cobras & Slaeens Roush Steeda etc. in the future
I would add a Vortech BF I lost my ass on the Bullitt
I had a Magazine Feature Cobra with over 450 RWHP & I would rather have my Bullitt anyday
I think the Cobra front bumpar would set the Bullitt off
but thats it for me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts