·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
around 5hp and a lot lounder sound
I think their picture of hte unit is outdated. There is no flange at the rear of the pipe. If it's really like that, you wont be able to bolt that particular one into your car without modifications to the stock exhaust.
What you want is one like this: http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/online/product_info.php?cPath=103_35_108&products_id=299

also if you get one with cats, to remain "legal", then you'll still gain some HP and sound, but not quite as much. Sometimes X pipes will drop your torque some if you don't maintain enough backpressure. I am using an offroad X pipe with my stock catback system and it sounds DAMN good and works quite well.

In general X pipes produce a louder & raspier sound, while H pipes produce a more mellow deep tone but still really loud. All pipes sound different between brands and materials used. Some offroad X pipes might sound horrible, while others (like mine), sound great. Same can be said for the H pipes, but they are more universal with sounding good.

·
Registered
141 Posts
^Yep, minimal gains and you'll also need MIL eliminators to turn off the check engine light (M.I.L.). IMO a h-pipe sounds much better, give a nice deep rumble.

·
Registered
56 Posts
the X pipe I had sounded like CRAP! so now I have an H pipe.

p.s. i don't know what brand it was because it was on the car when I got it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ezekial said:
In general X pipes produce a louder & raspier sound, while H pipes produce a more mellow deep tone but still really loud. All pipes sound different between brands and materials used. Some offroad X pipes might sound horrible, while others (like mine), sound great. Same can be said for the H pipes, but they are more universal with sounding good.
yeah I like how your car sounds. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had a bassani X-pipe w. flows and i liked the combo. Ive got a set of mills if you go w. an xpipe.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah if someone doesn't cut it up and put cats in. :frown:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
X-Pipe..is it worth it?

i say no. but that's because i live in california. doing anything to your car here is dangerous as far the law is concerned. its not worth the headache. i have an slp catted x pipe and it sounds pretty good. but i did not notice a difference in power, in sound, maybe. if i could do it over again i would have saved the money and put it towards a blower.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well I think it is worth it. I have a Bassani X-pipe and Cat-back system. I think the x pipe sounds better and it does increase HP but increases TQ by 6-8 pound feet of torque and produces better throttle response. Just my .02.

·
Registered
231 Posts
DOC1FMF said:
Well I think it is worth it. I have a Bassani X-pipe and Cat-back system. I think the x pipe sounds better and it does increase HP but increases TQ by 6-8 pound feet of torque and produces better throttle response. Just my .02.
Werd Bassani FTW!!!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Kooks LT headers with the matching X-pipe,here. I noticed the X-pipe really quieted the exhaust down,to a mellow sound.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Catback is what's gonna make or break the sound of the X pipe. That picture looked like that pipe was for a long-tube setup. But to your question.

Is an O/R mid pipe worth it? Absolutely. Forget about emissions, it would take an hour or so to swap the factory pipe back in to pass emissions, but you probably wouldn't even have to do that. There are plenty of ways around emissions.

Now, you're not gonna feel the power from an O/R mid-pipe, but it will be there. I picked up 10rwhp with my O/R H. Not enough to feel, but every little bit helps.

You're gonna have to decide what sound you like. Most people do not like X's with chambered mufflers (factory, Flowmaster, Dynomax), they like them better with strait-thru mufflers (Borla, Bassani, Magnaflow). I personally won't run an X. I hate the way they sound, and I haven't seen them out perform H's, so I don't see any advantage to an X.

This is what I run, not the stainless, just the aluminized (O/R). The prochamber has a great sound and I've been very happy.
http://www.macperformance.com/store/category.cfm?SID=3&Category_ID=469

You can skip the prochamber, and go with their plain O/R H and see the same power, just a little louder of a sound and a cheaper tag.
http://www.macperformance.com/store/category.cfm?SID=3&Category_ID=468

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
pat00641 said:
Is an O/R mid pipe worth it? Absolutely. Forget about emissions, it would take an hour or so to swap the factory pipe back in to pass emissions, but you probably wouldn't even have to do that. There are plenty of ways around emissions.
not everyone can forget about emissions completely. where i live, highway patrol or even the city pd now will tow your car if it doesn't have cats. no questions asked. might just be here, but its not going to get any better. even a car with cats can be loud, which is really the point i think of not running cats. better to be safe than sorry. i put cats on after the first mustang got towed! it used to be targeted towards the ricers, but now they are going after stangs as well. just something to think about when debating cats....

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have a catted Bassani X aand love the sound, also had both an o/r h and o/r x on my fox body and liked the x better there too. Putting a dr.gas 3" x once im done with the build for it. But to be sure its what you want go over to mustangexhaust.com and listen to some sound bites of different setups.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I have the Bassani X with 2 cats and the Bassani Cat Backs with MRT tips (won tips at Nats a few years back). I am quite happy with the setup.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
bullitt890 said:
not everyone can forget about emissions completely. where i live, highway patrol or even the city pd now will tow your car if it doesn't have cats. no questions asked. might just be here, but its not going to get any better. even a car with cats can be loud, which is really the point i think of not running cats. better to be safe than sorry. i put cats on after the first mustang got towed! it used to be targeted towards the ricers, but now they are going after stangs as well. just something to think about when debating cats....
The point of getting rid of cats is the power they rob. They are a flow restriction. And he is in Canada, I don't think they're as bad as CA. For most of the other 49 it's not a big deal. I've been running cat-less for over a year. Laws vary from state to state, but usually there are a few options around it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts