Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a lot of questions about the X-Pipe on a bullitt and how it sounds. I've had an off road x pipe on for about 6-8 weeks now and it sounds great. Not too loud and a nascar sound. At idle it has a low growl and when you get on it, it has a very mean higher pitched sound. I'm very happy with mine and recomend it to anyone else. And yes, I did feel a difference in performance too.

Now with all that said I'm going to weld in two of the cats from my stock h pipe just to keep from getting grief from my dealer when I go in for service. Anyone interested in my stock h pipe minus two cats?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks for the info... I have a bassani X with MIls that i was contemplating putting in. Is yours a Bassani??? you do not happen to ahe a wav file do you?? if so can you email it to me.....

My dealer was cool about no cats... they loved the soudn off it and could care less. They can only give you grief if they can deterimne if the Off Road pipe caused a problem. And I do not see how a Off road pipe would cause any problems.

Thanks for the info......

Here is how I am going to do it.

1. put 1000 miles on first. Dyno
2. Then put on the MAC CIA from fender to MAF. Put on PRO M 87 200-300 miles... dyno/
3. put on X pipe... 200 300 miles and dyno.

Have not decided if I am going to put on the under drive pullies or not. I am going to measure the pullies today and see if it would be worth it. I do not think so....

Thanks again.....

Doug Lear......

·
Registered
762 Posts
Doug I can save you some time on that measurement. The water and altenator pulleys are the ones that Ford changed, the crank is same as on a stock GT

·
Registered
452 Posts
So do you think it is worth it??? I do not think so for the hassle they can give you on Pullies down the road.. what is your take on it???

Thanks Doug

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about hassles down the road. If you have concerns about the crank pulley, I would not recommend a piggyback harmonic balancer type though I know that they are used in fact I currently have one on my Bullitt. However, after lots of consultation with racers and engine builders who I trust I have decided to use an SFI approved pulley so that I don't have future engine problems. Is it worth it... well if you ever see yourself adding a blower then no. If you want to stay naturally aspirated well speaking only for my own car there was a gain of just about 5 RWHP and about 7RWTQ. To me it was worth it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks for the info Raven..... I have just heard stories of dealers being real pain in the assess about internal damage when you have under drive pullies. I know you can call them on it, but it could be a pain. Do you know if my Steeda pullies from my 2000 GT will go on a 2001 GT/Bullitt... isnt there somthing a bit diferent with the 2001???? And did you jsut put on the crank and leave the others alone????

HEy you must work as hard as me... hehehehe

Thanks Doug

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm not sure if the Steeda kit is a direct swap or not but call and ask because depending on when your Bullitt was made the pulleys might be different. I know that to be true of the GT's in any case call and ask they'll know for sure. As for mine I haven't done the crank swap yet because the car is still on a boat in the Atlantic haeding this way.

·
Registered
568 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-17 13:22, Learo2000GT wrote:

My dealer was cool about no cats... they loved the soudn off it and could care less. They can only give you grief if they can deterimne if the Off Road pipe caused a problem. And I do not see how a Off road pipe would cause any problems.

Doug Lear

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Here's a hypothetical. Let's say in 2 or 3 years time you develop some type of internal engine problem & take it in. They see the X-pipe & say "Well, here's the problem. This was causing a backpressure problem, which, after several thousand miles caused the rings to wear unevenly, which caused the engine problem." Hard to prove, but the burden lies on you to disprove their theory. Doubtful, but it's a possibility.

To give you a real-world example of how anal Ford can be about warranty issues, my parents owned an 85 Ford station wagon (fake wood paneling on the sides, I think it was called a Country Squire). Anyway, it had a 302 with the double-hump pan, just like the HO 5.0 in my 85 GT. Well, sometime close to the end of the warranty period, the engine seizes. Dad takes it in & fills out a questionaire. It specifically asks if the front drain plug was ever used to drain the oil. Dad says he doesn't know & the Ford mechanic said it didn't look like it had ever been taken out. So, Ford voids the warranty because the oil wasn't drained properly, allowing contamanaints to bulid up which caused the engine to seize. What a crock! My folks shelled out $2500 bucks for a brand new crate motor, installed by the dealer. Years later when I rebuilt my 302 I made a point to check how much oil sat in the front part of the pan after I drained the oil. Not even 1/4 of a quart remained & it was no dirtier than any of the other oil. So you really need to be conscious of what mods you make if you want to retain your warranty. Personally, I planm on asking the service department & mechanics about everything, because they'll be honest (I hope). They already told me I might have a problem installing 3.73's myself, especially if they're an aftermarket set like Eaton, & that includes not using Motorcraft fluids. But they said if they did it, with Ford parts & fluids, it would still be covered. Nice to know.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
i just put an BBK X-Pipe on 161..it sounds AWESOME!!!!! great throttle response and no loss in torque. i raced a friend of mine before and after.....and now i can keep up with him. it is however a little louder so if your not wanting a sound change you might want to retain the stock mufflers with a x-pipe or use an o/r h-pipe. there a little quieter

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well all I can say is that if Ford pulled some sh%t with me like that I would be all over them. SO be it... I am not worreid about it. My dealership is cool.

Rankeeper: I know a X pipe will sound good with stright through mufflers or your flows.. but I am concerend about how it will sound with the stock cat back. I think I will just get off my dead ass and put it on shotly. IF it sounds like junk I will look for a H pipe to trade it for.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I read somewhere, on here I think, that MIL's don't work on the Bullitt? Anyone have anymore info on this?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The mil elims work fine with the bullitt. You just have to disconnect the battery for about an hour and then your good to go. I tried to not let it sit for an hour and it didn't work.
The o/r X pipe sounds great with the stock cat back.

Hey Mr. EMA I see your in Round Rock!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well I was going to give it a 1000 miles before I start moding it.. but I am itching bad.. I might only give it 500... I want my X pipe back sound and power back....

Doug

·
Registered
762 Posts
EMA racing I posted that MIL's don't work on the Bullitt. It was a direct quote from Paul Svinicki after I told him that I was using them to turn off a "check engine light" after I installed the off road h-pipe. The Autologic chip tuning program can access the car's computer coding to turn off the rear O-2 but that doesn't work as I later found out. The computer is a lot smarter on this car and eventually (again according to Paul S) even with the MIL's the light will come on. He also mentioned that you will see a slight decrease in performance. If you want, e-mail and I'll send a reply with his exact comments or just give him a call. He's a really nice guy and the way I look at is if FoMoCo trusted the pre-production Bullitts to him for R&D as well as other project cars then I'll take his word.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well I guess I'm just going to have to be a little patient and wait for Pual to come out with his upgrades. Any inside track on what some of them may be?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts