Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!

At 55,000 miles, I've paid off the B a few months ago. Woo-hoo!
Time for some smart upgrades for my 'daily' driver.

Maintenance underway, flushed the brake (and clutch) system, with tranny, coolant and differential changes coming soon....

The stock shocks and struts don't perform as I like, its time to change 'em.
Please note - I am keeping the stock springs.

For those of you that kept the springs but changed the struts and shocks, what are your favorites?

Eibach (spelling) sounds good, as do the Koni yellows (really expensive!), but I'm staying with the stock springs and each state they're best matched with lowering springs.

While Houston is as flat as a pancake, driveways are not, as many of our roadways are considered part of the drainage system during heavy rains.

So share your favorites or ones to avoid, please.

PS: I want to replace the traction bars too. The stock ones don't work well. Thoughts?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Is yours an 01 or 08? I was pondering the spring/shock quandrum myself. Thinking if the car is already lowered from the factory, does a drop spring truly drop the car more... or would it be like a stock height for the oe lowered ride?

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
:D Koni STR-T struts and shocks. Nice!!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Koni's (both orange and yellows), Tokicko's, FRPP's, etc. are all twin tube dampers, which are limited by design. It's all over the interwebs as to why, but mono tube dampers are the way to go. Staying with the stock springs, I'd look at the Bilstien HD's.

I just got a set of H&R RSS Clubsport coil overs (but not installed yet) to replace my FRPP adjustables, and the mono tube thing was one of two main reasons for the switch.

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
I have Tokico adjustables and really like them. Sam Strano is the man to contact for all your needs.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The Ford Racing adjustable ones are really great, even when used with the 1" lowering springs. The 1.5" lowering springs will be too rough, but the 1" are close to stock. But with the adjustable ones, you can tailor them to whatever kind of driving you're doing.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'd call Rich at Kenny Brown, and/ or Terry or Brandon at Vorshlag. Kenny Brown is why we've ever heard of Steve Saleen, and he also was a big part in setting up the Paul Brown/ Tiger Racing Boss 302S that dominated in 2011. He also set up a mustang for Chris Cobetto/ PAS which killed it as well. The Vorshlag guys are also very knowledgeable, and since you're in TX I'd highly recommend stopping by.

Koni yellows are NOT any better than DSpecs or FRPP adjustables, or any other twin tube damper.

Start with a mono tube which is a better damper to begin with, then step up to adjustability if you need it. Most people don't even know how to adjust them so adjustable dampers aren't necessary. The Bilstien HD is a better damper than the Koni yellow, and because the Bilstien's aren't adjustable they'd be a great choice for a stock replacement/ upgrade.

·
Car Whisperer
20,785 Posts
Bilsteins if you can afford them

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Dan, I also looked at the feedback on other S197 sites. I decided on the Tokico adjustable shocks/struts with Ford Racing "P" springs. My signature photo shows that setup. I REALLY like them. In retrospect, I might have used OEM takeoff springs as the shock/strut combo is what I really liked. No problem with heigth, you only lose like 3/4" on our already slightly lowered Bullitts. The handling is really great. One thing, though, if you lower you will also need an adjustable panhard bar so the axle stays in the center of the car. You should also get relocation brackets to lower the axle attachment points to keep the axle from hopping. My setup cost the following: 100 GT500 strut mounts, P springs (got a deal) 150, Whiteline relocation brackets 120, J&M LCAs(don't care what others say on this as I've had a bunch of different ones) 99, Tokico adjustable D specs F & R 579 (now 699 at AM), Steeda adjustable front adjustable end links 130. So, for $1,300. I am VERY happy. Too bad the Bullitt is being sold.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Hey there!

At 55,000 miles, I've paid off the B a few months ago. Woo-hoo!
Time for some smart upgrades for my 'daily' driver.

Maintenance underway, flushed the brake (and clutch) system, with tranny, coolant and differential changes coming soon....

The stock shocks and struts don't perform as I like, its time to change 'em.
Please note - I am keeping the stock springs.

For those of you that kept the springs but changed the struts and shocks, what are your favorites?

Eibach (spelling) sounds good, as do the Koni yellows (really expensive!), but I'm staying with the stock springs and each state they're best matched with lowering springs.

While Houston is as flat as a pancake, driveways are not, as many of our roadways are considered part of the drainage system during heavy rains.

So share your favorites or ones to avoid, please.

PS: I want to replace the traction bars too. The stock ones don't work well. Thoughts?

Hey Dan,

I've been mulling over various suspension upgrades, too, and finally decided to simply change out the stock shocks with Koni Sports plus the upgraded GT500 front strut mounts--that's it, for now. Personally, I only like to make 1 major change at a time. I'll report back after the items have arrived and are installed.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Watching this with interest - I just found one of my rear shocks covered in its own juices, so I'll be upgrading the suspension soon as well. Although I'm pretty certain I'm going with a non-stock spring as well as new shocks/struts.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have Koni STR.T's and Steeda Sport springs. If you decide to lower the car, get yourself a bumpsteer kit, balljoints and LCA relocation brackets. I didn't and regret it but will soon correct that situation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts