Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my long-running quest to get MP3s to play in my Bullitt (without a poor-quality FM modulator), I found the perfect solution--an auxiliary audio input interface. These items plug into the CD-changer port of factory head units and fool the radio into thinking there's a Ford CD-changer installed. The other end has 2 RCA inputs to which you can hook up any device.

I got sick of waiting for Ford/Visteon to come up with a Mach460-compatible 6-disc MP3 in-dash changer. To add, my MP3 collection has outgrown CD-ROMs. (I have many, many 1-2 hr. livesets, so fitting 6-7 sets on one CD and lugging around a Case Logic full of MP3-CDs was increasingly inconvenient). So, when iRiver introduced the 20GB H320 with an awesome color screen, I bought one. That made the decision to get the aux interface since I could use the same player everywhere, including the car.

The two companies I know of that make them for the Mach460 are Blitzsafe and PIE. The Blitzsafe p/n is FORD/AUX DMX V.1C and the PIE p/n is FRDN-AUX.

In the end, I went with the Blitzsafe, simply because that was the preferred brand of the local installer. Parts/labor & tax was $130. (I didn't trust myself to do the work for the $30 I would have saved.) I then had to buy a mini(m)-RCA(f) adapter from Radio Shack and that was it...

So, was it worth it? HELL YEAH! The sound quality is amazing. Setup takes 10 seconds--plug the radio into the LINE OUT on the MP3 player, set the player volume to max, set the player EQ to "normal" (all bars flat), and hit the CD button on the radio. The head unit shows "DJ1..." (instead of "CD1...") and the time reads "0:00". I just put the player into the cup holder. Sometimes I need to adjust the bass & treble on the head unit depending on how the MP3 was encoded, but that's it. Given that the iRiver gives me 10+ hours on a single charge, I don't mind using the battery.

So, if you have a portable MP3 player, this option is much better and cheaper than trying to get an '05 Mustang MP3-CD 6-disc in-dash to work in our cars.

Pics will be posted soon...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Good deal! I've definately been wanting to buy a ford 6 disc mp3 player. Just an FYI though....my brother is a professional car radio installer and he says that any of the ford mp3 players should fit as long as it looks like ours. I'm not talking about the 05's, but some of the 04's like this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ford-6-CD-MP3-Changer-Satelite-Radio-Compatible-FM-AM_W0QQitemZ5794781940QQcategoryZ94836QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They are quite expensive, but worth it for the clean look of a stock stereo.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thats why I changed out to a Alpine head and amp. Plays MP3 with a MP3 CD player built in and 360 watts driving it all, plus remote control to operate it all..

·
Registered
253 Posts
Us XM radio guys have known about this for a long time. :smile:

I installed the PIE unit over a year ago and my XM is plug-n-play without the FM modulator. It cost me over $75 though, which I thought was VERY steep for such a simple device.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Help me understand this. When you have it plugged into the mp3 player it overrides the cd player? Okay, then when you unplug it, does it go back to the cd player? I don't want to lose function of my 6-disc player, but I really want this mod. I want it for both of my cars, since I have satelite in one, and ipod in the other... Explain please. Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2005-08-10 21:08, HammyZTS wrote:
Help me understand this. When you have it plugged into the mp3 player it overrides the cd player? Okay, then when you unplug it, does it go back to the cd player? I don't want to lose function of my 6-disc player, but I really want this mod. I want it for both of my cars, since I have satelite in one, and ipod in the other... Explain please. Thanks.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

When you have the adapter plugged in, the head unit recognizes a SECOND changer. The original one still works and the display shows CD1 when it's active. Press the CD button again, and DJ1 appears - that's your auxilliary input. You can toggle back and forth between CD1 and DJ1 by pressing the CD button. So, you have AM, FM, CD1, and DJ1 now.

What I want to know is, why the hell does it display DJ1? What does that mean? Why not CD2 or AUX or something sensible?

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey everyone!!! holy cow its been so long since i've been here but my poor bubbles (#2375's name) is due for a face-lift. afer contemplating selling my buddy (and i actually bought a land rover but couldn't stand it without my bullitt...i went back for him!! ah!!) i've decided to keep him and just fix some things that are wearing on him. point is, you all will see me around a lot more asking many questions concerning all of the work i plan on doing to my little guy.

but anyway, enough of that. heres the thing: im DYING to have use of my ipod in the bullitt. this FRDN-AUX thing from PIE works completely fine, no hassles w/ the mach 460, right? i want to make sure its going to be ok before i buy it. if you guys tell me that its 100% a good thing, i'm buying one the next day!

im super excited....hope to hear some good news soon! thanks everyone...see you all around!

love,
lindsey

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullittmoo on 2005-08-16 00:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just got the blitzsafe adapter even though I think I ordered the PIE FRDN-AUX - no complaints though since I think it’s the more expensive of the two. I had to extend the constant +12v wire to reach the cigarette lighter plug and there really is no place but underneath the head unit for the control box. Aside from that it is great to have clear aux in for my phone!

another note: this adapter’s black female plug goes into the empty plug which I think is for an external CD changer. i assume the white male plug allows you to still connect an external CD changer thus having 3 sources: in dash, aux in and external CD changer?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts