Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
July 4, 2008. State Route 83 Arizona. 0830, sunny, 89 degrees, no wind, Simpson Bandit Nomex helmet. Shift light set at 6,000rpm (I did NOT want to hit the rev limiter at 150mph !). Waited about 20 minutes until no cars either direction for five miles. I shifted with the light in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (Too busy to look at the tach), shifted to 4th at 130mph prior to shift light coming on. I was still accelerating and below the shift light with the speedo buried. Shut down because of a car coming in the distance. Car handled like it was on rails, no buffeting, wandering, instability, and the hood didn't wiggle any more than it does at 100mph. Oh, and I forgot to turn off the A/C !

Impression: This car looks awesome, handles super, accelerates well, and goes real fast. I love it !! My favorite car EVER !!!!
Ratman

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rigsvt said:
wow !!!! nice run

Thanks !!! It was a blast !!!!
Ratman

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Mus408 said:
Don't tell us you took one hand off the wheel,at 150 MPH,to take a picture of the speedo!!
Remember, mileage may vary. Your results could be different from those advertised...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1mach1 said:
Awesome. Bet it was really fun!
I retired from all forms of racing just last year and I thought my future just held nice rides in nice cars. This was like stepping back years and hitting the test track with a new car!! Putting on my "old" helmet, positioning the camera, waiting until the road was clear, I was so anxious I thought I was going to barf !! Just like the good old days - yeah, it was REAL fun !!
Ratman

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jet said:
I don't want to sound stupid, but there is a shift light?
Raptor Performance makes a nifty SMALL shift light not much bigger than a fountain pen. It's black with red LED's and is velcro'd to my dash mat right up against the driver's side A pillar. You wouldn't see it if you weren't looking. I set the light to flash when I hit 6,000rpm so I stay away from the rev limiter. With the tach on the left side, my arm is right in front of it, so I rely on the light for my shift points. Two reasons for setting it at 6,000 are that my reaction time is a bunch slower now that I am a "senior", and the other is that the tach is "dampened" so it lags a bit behind the actual rpm. Hence, on rapid acceleration, the engine can be a couple of hundred rpm's ahead of the tach (makes for a smoother guage). The rev limiter has no such lag, so you might have the limiter hit when the tach has not yet reached the red line.
Ratman

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ratman,
Way to go!
My personal highway record is 147 mph, over 20 years ago, in a 1985 Porsche 928S.
Lee

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mus408 said:
Don't tell us you took one hand off the wheel,at 150 MPH,to take a picture of the speedo!!
Since my only alternative was to take a friend with me, none of whom share my enthusiam for speed, doing it myself was the only way. I practiced many times at slower speeds holding the camera with my right hand while also holding the wheel. If I had encountered any weirdness, I would have jettisoned the camera most riki-tiki. I had the camera on and ready to shoot setting in my cup holder until I shifted into 5th gear at about 130 before I reached for it. Although, I can say with certainty, now that I've done it, the car was soooooo smooth I could have waited until the last moment. The only bummer was that I couldn't see the tach (left arm) and I couldn't see the speedo (camera), so I didn't know until I could review the pic if it was really buried. I was a bit sad to see that the first run was successful because it meant I had to get home before my wife got suspicious about the length of my trip to the carwash !!
Ratman

Reactions: walc

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cdynaco said:
Great road test! Glad it was safe! Thanx! :exclaim:
It really IS possible to do stupid stuff while being safe; I think. I would have felt a bit more secure with a "cage" and five-point harness, but I did what I could.
Ratman

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JC2954 said:
Aftermarket Light.

Right on. Normally, I'd just need the tach but my left arm blocks my view (Wonder why the put the tach on the left side on a manual shift car?). That rev limiter can get real scarey at over 100mph! I use a Raptor Performance light. I used two on my Modified Midget for setting the gearing on dirt tracks. The green light would come on when I entered the power band, and the red one came on at redline. It was a bit more elegant than guessing where the power band was just using the rev limiter.
Ratman

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hesh said:
One helluva way to celebrate the Fourth of July.
Thanks for the info.
Hesh
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking !! It definately put some ZAP in the day !!
Ratman

1 - 20 of 33 Posts