Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we live in Kingman AZ but we had to drive down to Phoenix the other day to do some shopping. Took the Bullitt on it's first road trip with us, and while we were driving on I-17 down town, the back end started to sway side to side at 75MPH. I immediately slowed and pulled off of the exit that happened to be right there. As I got to the bottom of the hill, the drivers-side rear wheel broke off of the cheap 1-inch spacers some moron put on the car before I got it, and lodged itself into the fender well between the brake and fender. A cop happened to be right there, and come over to protect us from exiting traffic. It was 105 or so, and the pavement was scorching. I got out the jack, got it off the ground, found that the spacer had all but two lugs broken off. So anyway, I put the wheel back on with the remaining two lugs with the help of a homeless dude who found a few of the nuts. The cops found a Checker for me, so we limped the car over there, got there with 10 minutes left before they closed, bought a ratchet with a 3/4 socket to remove the spacer, and got the wheel on. The whole ordeal only took an hour, and I can't believe the car wasn't damaged. I also can't believe we didn't get killed. We just bought the car, and whomever owned it before put those damned spacers on there. I noticed that the lug bolts in it aren't even grade-8. Maybe grade 5 at best. Total BS. Anyway, those are gone, and the Cobra R wheels are for sale. I ordered a set of 18x10 and 18x9 FR500's in Hypersilver for it. No more spacers or ill-fitting wheels that don't belong on a 2001. What a joke. Anyway, just wanted to vent. Don't put those cheap spacers on your car, you can die! :lol:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Yes, cheap spacers are just that.....cheap!

I had H&R Spacers on mine for about 25,000 miles and had no problems, even burning out a lot and about 6 runs at a 1/8 mile track. The H&R's cost more but are worth it.

Having said that, I always has a bad feeling about having spacers on the car. I finally got rid of them and went with 10.5 DD's/315's on there now.

Glad you all and the Bullitt are OK!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are D/D's? Yeah, I don't know who made these things, but they were garbage, i'll take a picture of the spacer and it's damage and put it up here later. I have the car at Ford right now having them check out everything to make sure nothing else falls off. The car has some vibrations, so they're fixing it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
^^^exactly, "quality" and "hub-centric" are the two things people ignore, to their regret, on pruchasing spacers, H&R are the best i think, its' what i run on mine, got them from kurt(thanks again kurt!) and have had no problems at all...

when you stick somehting in between the wheel and axle hub that only leaves you three or four threads to hold a wheel on at 130mph, you are asking for dangerous things to happen...

glad you are okay and no major damage occurred, good time to pick up some deep dish rims now!!

shaun

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, not sure who made these, but they were the kind that bolt on, then have their own lugs sticking out. those lugs sheared off. i did get the 18x10 and 18x9 FR500's for it. I wanted the Bullitt wheels in that size, but my gal is picky and preferred the FR500s, so I had to get those. Oh well. Nice wheel anyway. They'll be here next week with tires mounted. I'm excited to get them on and get away from the problems the previous owner created for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts