Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing these 20+ horsepower gains w/ a full exhaust system, tempting.
But, I think that the car is pretty loud inside as it is.
1) Do these mods make the car much louder?

2) What will California smog sniffers have to say about them?

Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
you posted subject twice by mistake so i'm deleteing one!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't make ANY change that would affect the SOUND of the exhaust for <50 HP. But that's just me... I LOVE the sound. And every time I hear a base GT or Cobra go by, I love the sound even more.

If you can be certain the sound won't change, just the volume, I say go for it! (assuming someone weighs in to say you won't fail inspection)

Joe

Dark Highland Green #1934
Bone Stock except for a deep Zaino Shine!

1995 4.6L Thunderbird LX in Electric Red -- R.I.P.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DHG-1934 on 2001-11-01 17:16 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Lok N Lod just removed his mufflers when he first got his car and it sounded SUH-WEEET!
I had thought about the full length headers and short "H" pipe but sound is a concern for me. I've done a road trip to Florida and plan on a few more long hauls so excessive noise is a bit of a concern. Not for me really.. I love the sound.. but I am road tripping with my Wife. :wink:

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I plan on keeping the mufflers,but will try a MAC off road H-pipe. Of course it will be modified a bit to look Cat-stock! I hear from the Mustang tuners,it could be worth 10-15 RWHP. But most important that Bullitt sound will be enhanced.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi guys, just some stuff here that I have gathered from articles and such.

Headers- sean hyland motorsports has a set of long tube headers that cost 1,200 but make documented 28rwhp and 33rwtq. A tad pricey but look at the numbers + this company is supposed to be really good.

x-pipe-----according to artcles that I have read a really good x-pipe will add about 7-8 rwhp

cat-back-----about 10 rwhp and 10rwtq.

As far a noise is concerned. The headers will give your car a really low mean growl. The x-ipe and cat-back is what make it so loud, just don't go with the 3' pipes and you should be fine.

·
Registered
714 Posts
FYI: When you make any changes to the exhaust eliminating any backpressure the tuners say you need to have your computer flashed to compensate and get the most out of the mod. Just an expense you should know about up front.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-02 11:29, Bullitt#4660 wrote:
FYI: When you make any changes to the exhaust eliminating any backpressure the tuners say you need to have your computer flashed to compensate and get the most out of the mod. Just an expense you should know about up front.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
In Hollywood a flash is usually free, what do they cost you?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts