Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine gave me a set of Mac stainless steel mufflers to fit my bullitt and i dont know if i should try them or not..Any ideas or suggestions?? They really look real good..

·
Registered
448 Posts
I ordered Spin Tech mufflers for mine yesterday, but I will hold onto the originals, just in case I don't like them. I've heard that the Spin Techs have a raspy 60's musclecar sound, without any droning at all, and that is exactly what I'm looking for. I agree with you Karl, that the factory ones sound real good, but it must be a guy thing, we always want a little more sound. :grin: :grin:

:bullitt:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi guys,
I actually ordered a set of the MAC Flowpath stainless steel mufflers yesterday. For anyone not familiar, the Flowpaths come in 2.25" offset/offset either aluminized or stainless and they are a chambered design (sort of like a diamond roadblock in the middle with path around it and holes through it). I'll have them arrive direct from MacPerfomance on Monday (probably) and get them welded on Tuesday.
Why?
I wanted more sound so put on MAC's highflow "H" with two cats (to stay semi-legal) but it still wasn't loud enough. But the drone at 2,000 rpm got worse, so I started thinking I might as well try aftermarket since I already have the drone anyway :wink:
Having the mufflers welded in is only $40 and I'll switch back if I don't like the sound.
I've read many places that the Flowpaths have an awesome musclecar sound when used with an "H", similar in volume to 2 chamber Flowmasters but deeper and not as tinny. One guy I know with the 'Paths said he gets comments all the time, people asking him if he has a 351 under the hood...SWEET! According to him, I can expect to hear a drone at 2,000, though maybe not as bad as Flows.
I will write back on this thread ASAP after installing and test driving to let you know my impressions of the set-up!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Jay, once the stock mufflers are cut out they are really not reuseable because they were welded on to begin with. The only way to reuse them is to cut them about 2 inches after the muffler and keep the stock flow tubes attached to the stock mufflers. Let Team Ford install two new flow tubes with the Spintechs. They can make up the new flowtubes to make up for the two inches lost from removing the stock mufflers. Now you can reinstall the stock mufflers with the stock flow tubes if you wanted to. For me it wasn't worth all this trouble. I'll take my Magnaflows any day over the stock mufflers.

PS: This is assuming the Spintech mufflers are the same lenght as the stock mufflers. If they are 2 inches longer then you can disregard what I said.

John

Pro 5.0 Shifter/MGW Shifter Arm
Densecharger CAI
Superchips Premium Fuel Chip
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
GT Fog Lights / Tinted Windows
MGW LTD Interior Pieces

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-12-06 15:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
448 Posts
Great info, John, I will make sure they do that. They should arrive sometime next week, and I will get them on and let you know how they sound. They are gonna do a dyno run for me first, so I can see what hp I'm starting with. :grin: My Densecharger is on the way, ordered it yesterday!

:bullitt:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi all,
Can you see the smile on my face? If you could hear my Bullitt now you'd be smiling too!
I had the muffler shop weld in my new stainless steel MAC FlowPath mufflers today (MacPerformance is QUICK with their deliveries...I highly recommend ordering straight from the factory as I did for the highflow "H" and now the FlowPath mufflers). It was only $40 to install and they were a bit shorter than stock, requiring a small adaptor flow tube.
I took the long (30 minute) way home on surface streets and highway and here are my imressions as compared to stock catback with highflow MAC "H":
The sound is AWESOME. Extreme musclecar mean, but not obnoxious at all. Not bad at idle, more grumble, but ANY throttle awakens the beast. It FEELS more responsive and powerful.
The annoying drone at 2,000 rpm is still there, but not as bad as stock mufflers at low speeds. On the highway the drone is louder with the FlowPaths, but it's limited to 2,000-2,100 rpms, while stock was 1,900-2,250 previously, so I prefer this system in the drone department. It's more confined and thus more controllable. I LOVE it!!!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Another update after driving to the movies last night ("Behind Enemy Lines"):
The drone can be louder than stock driving around town also. But again, the drone lives in a much smaller rpm range than the stock mufflers did; a smaller, louder "sweet spot". I find it easier to avoid the drone on either side or to pass through it quickly, while with stock I found that I was having a hard time avoiding it (not that I particularly mind that kind noise).
My goals have been achieved thanks to all the research, advice, help, and all the Modular fora...Kept my car smog legal AND managed to make it the BEST sounding Mustang I've ever heard!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts