Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm STILL debating on the 30mm spacers. I have the info from Dennis (thanks!) on ordering, but have been sitting on it because I'm wondering what would be best or most beneficial. Here is my thought and I'd like your input!

Would the 30mm spacers be better or should I go with wider tires on the back? I'm a GIRL so any suggestions or comments on my thinking would be appreciated! Just need to know pros/cons for the two, etc.! heehee :grin:

Thanks to ALL who reply!!

Dona

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Dona,
I assume that you are trying to fill the fenders a little better... Your options go about it in different ways and to differing degrees. Spacers will fill them in much more than just wider tires, cons would be that your bolting something between your wheel and the hub. Most people(myself included) will never have to worry about that, but it does introduce a possible area for trouble. You'd have to drive it pretty hard to have issues.

If you put wider tires on you will only slightly fill the wheel well better, but not much at all. Stock rims are only 8" wide so you can't go much wider(255 max IMO) without compromising contact patch and tire wear.

For handling neither of these options is really all that good. Mustangs have pretty severe understeer from the factory so adding any grip in the rear will only serve to worsten that. This will only be noticable when you are really pushing the car and may not be an issue at all.

I know this probably hasn't helped in your decision, but it is my informed opinion based on the fact that I have done both on various Mustangs.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I agree with Tim. I think the only way to go is spacers, or go to wider wheels in the back. The only way I would do the latter is go to 18" wheels all the way around...
Since that was way too expensive for me I decided to go spacers...and have been very happy.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Speaking for myself, I would much rather go with the current stock wheel design in the rear but with a different offset. This would give the wheel a deeper dish to it and also fill the wheel well and IMO look more natural and much better looking. However, I don't think they make the wheel I have in mind. :smile:

·
Registered
292 Posts
One drawback of using wider wheels/tires is that you no longer can rotate tires front to back for optimal wear.

And yes, going to wider tires in back is going to change the handling, increasing understeer or front end push. Unless you make other adjustments B-).

I guess that I would either go with the spacers or the Cobra IRS with it's 1.5" wider wheel track. But then spacers *would* be a lot cheaper B-).

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
No one has pointed out that spacers change the offset of the wheels and puts more load on the bearings.

The ultimate solution is get wider rear wheels with the proper offset.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think TrueBlueBullitt has 18x9.5 inch rims in back with 275/40 rubber and still uses 3/8" spacers. So unless you settle for a different look to get a rim with the proper offset spacers are probably the way to go for a filled out look.

Be careful now, you don't want Bulletta's hips to get tooo wide... :razz:

Black Bullitt #3185

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LesnTea on 2001-12-31 02:52 ]</font>

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
The stock axles do flex a bit,at the flange area,but mostly under hard use,drag strip take offs,hard cornering. A spacer would just give more leverage at this point. But for strictly street use it may work a while. Depends on what your driving use is going to be. With 3.73 gears,like I have,a wider tire sure would help with traction!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi everyone and thanks for the input. My main goal was just to fill in that gap, you know, the tires looked so "tucked in" in the rear and I just wanted to bring them out. You say spacers would be better for that than wider tires????????

Thanks!

Oh, and LesnTea, you are correct, must watch those hips!!

:grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts