Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

I'm wanting to place an order for this stuff since most of you rave about it. However, a question before I do. On the site, someone suggests what to get, this includes the "swirl" stuff. Now, I don't have any swirls, so is this stuff necessary? It's one of the most expensive items they sell, not that I mind the price, but if I don't need it, no sense spending the money.

What Zaino products is everyone using?? I'll for sure get Z-1, Z-2, Z-6 and Z-7 but is there a leather cleaner/protector anyone would suggest? I don't want anything greasy, that's for sure, but I want something to clean with and also something to protect the leather with, all the while maintaining that wonderful smell!!

Thanks everyone,
Dona

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just did my car last weekend with Zaino and I'm VERY happy with it.I had alot of water spots that I couldn't get out prior to using Zaino and I also had some small scratch's so I went ahead and got the Z5 and it really helped,I also got the clay bar and was amazed on how well it worked on my water spots it took all of them off.the good thing about the Z5 is that you can always put it on down the road to cover up any scratch's of swirls you get in the future than finish up with the Z2 polish.As far as leather cleaner/protection I got the Z9,Z10.my leather wasn't that dirty but the condtioner also worked great,I put 3 coats on it and it really soaked it up.I've used alot of different condtioners on different cars and I like this one the best,I had no oily residew or feel to my interior at all.
just my 0.2...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-14 12:34, Dona wrote:
HI all,

I'm wanting to place an order for this stuff since most of you rave about it. However, a question before I do. On the site, someone suggests what to get, this includes the "swirl" stuff. Now, I don't have any swirls, so is this stuff necessary? It's one of the most expensive items they sell, not that I mind the price, but if I don't need it, no sense spending the money.

What Zaino products is everyone using?? I'll for sure get Z-1, Z-2, Z-6 and Z-7 but is there a leather cleaner/protector anyone would suggest? I don't want anything greasy, that's for sure, but I want something to clean with and also something to protect the leather with, all the while maintaining that wonderful smell!!

Thanks everyone,
Dona

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

If you don't have swirls, you don't need the Z5. I haven't done my car yet, but here is what I bought on recommendation of my local rep:

Z1 Polish Lok, Z2 Polish, Z6 Gloss Enhancer, Z7 Car Wash, Z9 Leather Cleaner, Z10 Leather Conditioner, and Z12 Glass Polish.

Regarding the Z5, my rep has a black Viper, and he recommends the Z5 instead of the Z2 on Black cars. His is done with Z5 and it looks awesome, very deep shine, no swirl marks at all. Also, be sure to clay bar the car first before using any of the Zaino products. This will ensure all the paint contaminents are removed from the paint for the deepest, wettest Zaino shine......

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-14 14:11, bullitt0399 wrote:
Where do you get the Z5?

All Zaino products can be purchased here:

http://www.zainobros.com/

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’ve been using Meguiars. I started out using their Wax and Cleaner. I noticed it wasn’t really getting a good shine. Later, my brother-in-law told me I was more or less just striping it. I then started using their Gold Class with carnauba wax.
Before I got my Bullitt, my cars have historically been old VW beaters, 4 cylinders usually with more than 175 – 200k miles on them. So, the free car wash with a fill up was more than good enough for what I was driving. Hand washing was out of the question.
So now I have this little green gem, that gets pampered with hand washes about once a week. This is one thing I don’t like about having a nice car. But I just can’t stand for it to be dirty. Any ways, is Zaino preferred over Meguiars here in this forum? I’m only starting to learn about proper car care. Perhaps another forum should be created on texterior and interior care?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Has any one switched from Zaino to something else????? I can't get over how inexpensive it is compared to the other stuff. There is a thread here where someone spent hours trying some different stuff compared to Zaino and then there are some other articles out there on the net that show it winning hands down compared to stuff that costs tons more. I just took their word for it and bought the stuff.
My wife has a 93 Camray and the PHX sun has beat it for years. Since it is white it is easy to ignore. I had tried some other waxes on it and it did NOTHING. I was going to have it clear coated since it looked like someone had painted it with chaulk. Don't tell her but I did not claybar it just put the lock on it and then the Z-2. ALso I did the whole thing in less than an hour, (Hey its not a Bullitt) The quick job put the shine back. Sold me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I use Z1, Z2, and Z7. I think the Z6 would be great stuff, but from what I hear any detailing spray will work well as long as it DOES NOT contain WAX ( may be listed as carnuba). Apparently true wax products interact poorly with the polymers contained in the Zaino products.
I picked up "The Wax Shop" brand "Slick Stuff" from someplace online, though I have not used it yet. When I run out of that I will get some Z6. I also use the Zaino tire dressing, (whatever number that is), and I like it alot.

Even just using Z.1 and Z.2 without detailing spray, the results are incredible. And I've only got 1 coat of Z.2 on. I think it says only once or twice a year for the Z.1, and Z.2 as often as you want. I read a post from a guy on some other board who has 70+ coats of Z.2, and supposedly it just keeps getting better. I find that hard to believe, but at least there's proof that it doesn't buildup/haze! :smile:

Try http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

Lots of good articles and high volume forums. These folks are probably more anal than any of us (Well, possibly except for Vicki :wink: ) about their cars, and there is a TON of info and discussion.

Joe

·
Registered
451 Posts
Also, I found the Zaino products to be SLIGHTLY frustrating in that it isn't quite as obvious that you've covered an area (particularly with the Z.1) or have a significant enough coat of the product as with traditional waxes I've used on other cars in the past. However, you get used to this, and you just have to (especially with the Z.1) apply it in a pattern that makes it easy to mentally chart where you've been.

I seem to remember reading that they recommend back and forth vs circular strokes as well, though there's detailed info on the already linked Zaino page.

Joe

Dark Highland Green #1934
Bone Stock except for a deep Zaino Shine!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DHG-1934 on 2001-10-14 17:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
501 Posts
On 2001-10-14 14:42, bullitt1024 wrote:
I?ve been using Meguiars. I started out using their Wax and Cleaner. I noticed it wasn?t really getting a good shine. Later, my brother-in-law told me I was more or less just striping it. I then started using their Gold Class with carnauba wax.

I had bad water spots on 399 and used Meguiar's Gold Class.No more spots and I can shave with the shine it left.Wal-Mart sells it in automotive.I think I'LL stay with what works.Black shows every detail/flaw.No problem with Gold Class.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt0399 on 2001-10-14 17:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input. I was wondering though, what the heck is clay bar? I've never even heard of it!! Is it something I just HAVE to get? I don't want a drawer full of cleaners I won't use (like I have now) or stuff I'll only use once, so I wanted to make sure, before I place my order.

Also, if anybody can help me with this one...what is the "Gloss Enhancer" and what is the purpose of it??

I'm thinking of Z-1, Z-2 and Z-7 for sure. I was thinking of the Z-6 but not sure if I need it. And, I'll also think about the leather care of Z-9 & Z-10.

Anymore advise??

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Clay bar is basically a bar of clay. After washing the car with Dawn dish soap. You take some of the Zaino soap and add like a cap to a spray bottle. Lubricate a section of the car and then rub the claybar on it. This is to remove all the junk that you can't see. You can feel it though. It will be super slick after this and it will stay that way using the zaino. Get the Z-6 you will probably use this more than anything else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On 2001-10-14 22:04, Mid Life Crisis #388 wrote:
Clay bar is basically a bar of clay. After washing the car with Dawn dish soap. You take some of the Zaino soap and add like a cap to a spray bottle. Lubricate a section of the car and then rub the claybar on it. This is to remove all the junk that you can't see. You can feel it though. It will be super slick after this and it will stay that way using the zaino. Get the Z-6 you will probably use this more than anything else.

How does one clay bar the top of the car? I'm only 5' 1", so for me, it might be easier said, than done.

·
Registered
586 Posts
To reach the top of your car: Open the door and put a kitchen stool right up against the door sill.

Don't stand on the door sill, even the plastic will scratch. And don't lean on the center of the roof with your free hand. Put the flat side of your free hand right next to the edge of the roof next to the window moulding. That way you won't dent your Bullitt. And DON'T LEAN ON THE GUTTER PANEL, it dents easily, too.

FOR TONS OF GOOD DETAILING ADVICE, SEE:
http://216.147.22.29/forum/forumdisplay.php3?s=&forumid=3

·
Registered
11 Posts
On 2001-10-14 22:20, 01GTCOUPE wrote:
To reach the top of your car: Open the door and put a kitchen stool right up against the door sill.

Don't stand on the door sill, even the plastic will scratch. And don't lean on the center of the roof with your free hand. Put the flat side of your free hand right next to the edge of the roof next to the window moulding. That way you won't dent your Bullitt. And DON'T LEAN ON THE GUTTER PANEL, it dents easily, too.

FOR TONS OF GOOD DETAILING ADVICE, SEE:
http://216.147.22.29/forum/forumdisplay.php3?s=&forumid=3

Thanks for the tip. I may have to wrangle up someone a little taller than me to complete the job. Sometimes it stinks being so short. On a side note, I had to get inside the BULLITT before I bought it, just to make sure I could see over the dash and hood. After I did that, I was sold...and so was the car.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I spent over 100 bucks with them in July. When I first used it I wasn't impressed. I Z1'd and Z5'd the car and it was still wet, 10 hours later. After you figure it out, you'll like it though. You can't imagine how incredibly light it needs to be put on. If you see a haze, you put it on to thick :wink: The Z1 and Z2 will last you a loooong time. My black car looked better after Z2 than Z5, I really haven't used it that much, so maybe the Z5 would look better after multiple coats.

Get the Z6 for sure, you'll find it's your best friend. It absolutely makes the car glow. The leather cleaner and conditioner are top notch as well. Buy a few applicators too for the polish.

I like using the Z7 car wash becuase it smells so damn good :grin:

The clay bar is a toss up. Mine didn't really need it. But go ahead an get them now and save on shipping. You should probably clay bar it every year or so anyway. Be careful with them too. They are very slippery and the will fly right out of your hand and onto the floor, rendering them garbage.

Buy some good white towels. I'm talking Fieldcrest Royal Velvet or Charisma here, don't skimp on these. There may be other brands, but these are easy to find in your better stores. Look to pay about $12-25 per towel.

Here's a picture of the car taken last night after a wash and Z6. http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/Yb/UC/t4/r887170.jpg The car hasn't had anything else in over two months. The quality isn't perfect, but artificial light plays cools tricks, thought I'd share :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-10-14 23:47 ]</font>

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks!!

I'm still all confused about what, when and how to use these products, but I'm sure they come with some sort of instruction. All I ever did before was wash and wax, two products, not twelve!! GULP! I'll get it, I hope.

What exactly do we need the Z-6 for? I mean, once you wash and put the Z-2 on, when do you use Z-6?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
You use the Z6 between coats and after washes. It kinda helps keeps dust off...a little. But it really brings out the shine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-10-14 23:52 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 22 Posts